Author Topic: Bala 2015  (Read 28965 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Bala 2015
« on: 17 Nov 2014, 21:17 »
I've been asked by John Haywood at Bala Sailing Club whether we want to hold another informal rally-style get together next year.

May to August are looking a bit busy (for me anyway) and September is also getting booked up (possible Swallow Boats rally at Mylor at the beginning of the month).

Any interest and suggestions for dates? I could do later in September.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Andy Dingle

Re: Bala 2015
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2014, 20:04 »
Hi Graham..

Though tempting I regret Bala doesn't really fit into my new way of Swallow Boating..  - though I am considering a sailing canoe now ..!  Fascinating subject! Shame Matt doesn't make one...

However, the mention of a 'rally' at Mylor (I presume you meant Mylor?) in early Sept really got me interested .. having had to miss the English Raid this year.. and this is a 'rumour' I have heard from several different directions now.. (do tell?).

Regards

Andy

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2014, 20:36 »
Andy,

Sorry, I meant Mylor - now corrected in the original post.  The possible SB rally down there was an idea that I heard discussed a couple of months ago, after Raid England.  I've heard nothing since. Has anyone else?
Graham

garethrow

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2014, 20:49 »
Graham

We might be interested in a late Sept 15 Bala rally.

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
Gwennol Teifi S17

Julian Swindell

« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2014, 09:14 »
I have heard more than strong rumours (from the Swallow Boats stand at Southampton) that there will be a Swallow Boats rally in Mylor next year, but the dates are likely to be before, rather than after school holidays. So the end of June, beginning of July are the most likely dates. I shall be going whenever, because it was such an outstanding place to sail and Mylor is just great fun.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Andy Dingle

« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2014, 10:24 »
That's where I heard the 'rumours' too ..  a great deal of discussion at the Southampton Boat Show that included some criticism of the ER - some school of thought that the event would be far better suited to Swallow Boats, but I got the impression it was to be aimed at the beginning of Sept.. though I would work around other dates to attend if I could. I'm aiming to go at some point anyway - rally or no rally.

Best not to name names as I don't want to put my foot in it .. !

Regards

Andy

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2014, 11:37 »
I thought that the English Raid was great fun and very well organised.

The easterly winds throughout the raid were a surprise, to me anyway.  Apparently they were caused by a stable high over the continent.  The planned day's sail to Falmouth had to be rerouted because some of the smaller boats were unsuited to the lumpy seas that were running.  Swallow Boats, as we all know, are made of sterner stuff.

The latest news on the Mylor event, from a usually reliable source, is that it may be held some time in June.  Unless anyone has news on a conflict with the English Raid dates, I propose that we hold our, er, unorganised and informal event on Bala on 5th/6th or 12th/13th September.  That's if enough people are interested.  I've just discovered that I can't do 19th/20th as it coincides with a seriously major birthday (mine) and 26th/27th is perhaps getting a bit late.
Graham

Michael Rogers

« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2014, 23:57 »
Believe it or not, I am holding back from being forward about some of these proposed dates for next year until we have moved and settled in further south (Bath area, with boat in Dorset), which also means adjusting my geography in terms of journey times etc.

I would LOVE to come to any Mylor event because, like Graham and Julian, I enjoyed the English Raid there so much. However I am hesitating because, with Graham's mention of 'sterner stuff', and my track record at Weymouth (should have kept my trap shut), I would fully understand if you big-boat boys didn't want the equivalent of a kid brother hanging around cramping your style....

...indulge me while I tell a story round that theme. When I was 15 I spent an idyllic two weeks of the summer school holidays with a school friend whose family lived in Gorran Haven near Mevagissey. The weather was perfect and we messed around in boats (among lots of other things): e.g. I learned how to scull with an oar over the stern. There was however a small fly in the ointment in the form of my friend's younger brother who was an absolute pest - 'Can I come too?' 'Wait for meeee!!' 'That's not fair!' 'I'll tell on you to Mum!' etc etc..... It's a funny old world - many years later, indeed not all that long ago, that particular pesky, irritating, in-the-way kid became the head of MI6.

Michael

Matthew P

« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2014, 18:15 »
Michael you are always welcome in Gladys if we happen to be at the same meeting and in the unusual circumstance that Cavatina feels conditions are too boisterous.  Past, present or future James Bonds are unlikely to be amongst Gladys's crew though.

We will almost definately be at Bala but less likely, sadly, at Mylor although it looks a great venue.

Matthew
Gladys BR20
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Michael Rogers

« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2014, 21:06 »
Thanks, Matthew! Do you know (it has only just occurred to me), I have never yet sailed in a Baycruiser/Bayraider/Expedition? There's an admission for you, and an omission I should put right sooner than later. It also reflects, incidentally, how much I enjoy my Trouper.

Michael

jonno

« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2014, 21:33 »
Matthew

I'd also really like to sail in your boat, boisterous conditions or not.  I've only glimpsed your transom from afar.

John (BR not Trouper)

Matthew P

« Reply #11 on: 21 Nov 2014, 08:51 »
John

You and anyone else are welcome provided they don't steal the nut-on-the-helm (Mr Peers) responsible for Gladys's sailing performance!

Matthew
BR20 Gladys
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Richard Cooper

« Reply #12 on: 21 Nov 2014, 11:15 »
I would definitely be interested in a Mylor expedition, assuming my crew is not messing about in her new (big) boat!.

Its a wonderful area and we have sailed there several times in our Storm 17, either staying in Falmouth and launching at Mylor, or staying in Restronguest with a very cheap outhaul mooring. You can sail up towards Truro and down to St Mawes from Mylor, and even if it does get a bit lumpy there are always sheltered spots. The scariest thing we encountered was fog so thick you could not see from St Just across to Mylor!, but that was on a late September trip.

A June timescale would allow you to pick sailing times and directions to suit tides either earlier or later in the day.

(Rick Stein's chippie in Falmouth is quite nice as well!)

Richard (Storm 17 Little Grebe)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 28 Nov 2014, 12:28 »
It looks like Bala is going to be on the weekend of 12th/13th September - BSC have a huge regatta the previous weekend.  I'm just keeping an eye out for a possible clash with the English Raid, which seems quite likely to happen next year but its dates are not yet fixed.

I've been watching the lake water levels, which at 0.74m are the lowest that I have ever seen them.  The normal low level is usually at least 1.0m, so the public slipway is currently unusable.  See http://www.riverlevels.info/dee-bala-community-dee-bridge  I think that they are repairing a weir in the NE corner of the lake and have lowered the lake level to make this easier.  Here are webcams of the BSC pontoons at the moment http://www.balasc.org.uk/weather.html
Graham

garethrow

« Reply #14 on: 28 Nov 2014, 19:39 »
Thanks for the heads up Graham

A mid Sept date should be work well for us so we would hope to come.

Not much response to my proposed Teifi Rally date (with the exception of Michael) so I guess it is too close to Ulswater date. Not much I can do about dates due to tidal restrictions so apologies for this.

Those that can come will of course be very welcome.

Regards

Gareth