Author Topic: Outboard Propeller Pitch BR20  (Read 3450 times)

Richard Walkerley

Outboard Propeller Pitch BR20
« on: 22 Mar 2019, 16:10 »
I have a fairly common Yamaha 4 hp outboard with a 7inch pitch prop on a BR20 but seems to bog down if driven hard.

My local dealer suggested I might try a finer pitch propeller.

Have others noticed similar symptoms and what pitch props are people using?

Thanks

Richard
Ula

Matthew P

Re: Outboard Propeller Pitch BR20
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2019, 08:44 »
The nearest I can find to an informative discussion on this subject in this forum is at:

http://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,392.msg2039.html#msg2039

Maybe I can provoke some authoritative responses to my personal, unqualified, opinions:

The first requirement of an outboard is reliability - and those who have experienced Gladys's and her sister crafts' vagaries know I am unable to speak authoritatively on this except to say fuel requires careful management.

The second requirement is controllable and wide speed range.  BR20s require an awful lot of power and petrol to exceed 5 Kts but it is very handy to be able to range between slow speeds to manoeuvre and cruise economically at 4 Kts. 

The third requirement is plenty of "push" to propel against tide, wind and wave and for this reason 4HP or more, is better than less.

It seems logical to me that a fine pitched propeller, equivalent to a low gear ratio on a car, provides a combination of controllable speed up to 4 Kts and "push" when required.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

david

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2019, 17:39 »
Hi,
I had my outboard propeller changed when I purchased to a high thrust one. Not sure what the pitch is though.
I have a 6hp Tohatsu/Mercury with a "high thrust" propeller. It performs well even when battling the "Santa Ana" winds on the Pacific.
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Matthew P

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2019, 22:45 »
A good friend has gently pointed out that my link to the previous discussion on propeller pitch navigated to the forum heading only, so here is another attempt:

http://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,392.msg2039.html#msg2039

Matthew
BR20 Gladys
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2019, 07:23 »
The standard propeller sold with small outboards has a pitch designed to help inflatables and other small dinghies get up on to a planing position and therefore go quite fast.  With sailing boats like ours, we rarely plane and only when sailing in high winds and surfing down the front of a large wave.  Never with the outboard, unless you have one of those newfangled sailing speedboats like the Coast 250.

Like David, I bought a high thrust/Saildrive/Sailmate propeller for my 6HP Mariner and kept the old standard propeller as an emergency spare.  It’s impressive how the new propeller pushes my boat through the water on low revs, saving fuel and keeping the decibels down.  Pushed harder, it can easily cope with a strong wind on the nose and fast currents.  Provided always, as Matthew points out, that your carburettor hasn’t been gummed up with supermarket petrol, which contains ethanol.  The remedy for that is to only use Aspen fuel - three times the price but free of ethanol.  It has a very long shelf life which is useful if, like me, you don’t use your engine that much.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Rock Doctor

« Reply #5 on: 04 Apr 2019, 08:53 »
I have been following this discussion with interest as I experience the same performance as others with my Yamaha 4 stoke 4hp outboard. I decided to follow up wit a prop supplier over here in Oz, someone who supplies OEM and third party props. The comment that came back was that there are no original or third party high thrust props for the small (<6hp) Yamaha outboards. So as far as I can see that is that for me.
Chris Robinson
BR20 "Gryphon"

Sea Simon

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2019, 07:29 »
I have a 2018 Honda 5HP (Honda 4/5/6 is the same engine - usual story).
Pre-purchase discussions with the local Honda agent lead to me having a high thrust "sail drive" Honda prop fitted in place of the standard one.
The reasons for this are broadly those that Graham W mentions. However, IMO, other than the planing bit - not so sure about that. Our "yachts" are very easily driven as I would think that they have low drag and wave making resistance, yet much higher displacement compared to most dinghies (planing or otherwise).
The additional cost was appx £40, and I have the as-yet unused "standard prop" as a spare.

I am very satisfied with the boat with the engine propped as it is, and last year saw a wide range of load (from 1 >6 people) and sea conditions too.

I had a quick look at the Honda site, and couldn't find the details you want. When I get home I will try to remember to take the dimensions off the two props for you.
Perhaps a bit of an oversight by Yamaha if they have no high thrust props for their 4/5/6 HP range?
I have had Yamaha (bikes and engines) over the years - no issues; only that their marine dealer is now an 80 mile round trip away from my home port.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Sea Simon

Re: Outboard Propeller Pitch BR20, BRe - Honda BF 5
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jul 2019, 19:02 »
As promised.. .better late?

Dimensions taken off stamps on props.

As fitted to 2018 Honda BF 5.

Original prop 200 x 170mm

Sail drive (in use now, recommend by dealer) 185 x 140mm

Does this help?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.