Author Topic: Today's mystery object  (Read 10773 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Today's mystery object
« on: 31 May 2011, 12:12 »
More Chipperfield than Chippendale but it serves its purpose.  Any idea what it is for?
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Clem Freeman

Re: Today's mystery object
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2011, 13:16 »
Toilet seat.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2011, 15:20 »
Ah no. That would be the item below, also shown installed.  I think crew members would be upset, nay disgusted if the mystery object was used for that purpose.
Graham

Clem Freeman

« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2011, 15:40 »
Must be something food connected then. Saucepan holder.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2011, 18:42 »
Very close.  It is a two-position Trangia multi-fuel stove holder.  At its simplest, the rectangular slot on one side fits over the table upright, just visible on the left of the first photo below.  The circular cut out clamps down on the lower rim of the stove to stop it moving about.

If there is no table, then an attachment anchors the holder to the centreboard casing, as in photo 2 below.  If the centreboard is up, the attachment can be slotted over the downhaul fairlead and if the centreboard is down, it still sits reasonably happily over the casing but is not quite so secure. Photo 3 shows the centreboard attachment more clearly.

Frank and Margaret Dye's books emphasise how many boating accidents are caused by scalding.  This lessens the risk but does not eliminate it.
Graham

Clem Freeman

« Reply #5 on: 01 Jun 2011, 09:27 »
That looks quite a neat solution. I do like the stove, will have to put one on my xmas list. Being able to have a brew is an essential.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 01 Jun 2011, 10:49 »
I think the stove itself is amazing.  If you travel abroad with the boat on a trailer, it is not always possible to obtain the right kind of gas and the Trangia multifuel burns just about anything except wood!
Graham