Author Topic: Mainsheet traveller  (Read 13805 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Mainsheet traveller
« on: 15 Jun 2011, 17:41 »
Here is a photo of a mainsheet traveller arrangement, using a wide-mouthed trapeze ring and a few bits of string.  As someone pointed out aeons ago, grabbing the mainsheet and pulling it inboard helps upwind performance in light winds. For this system to work, you need a spinnaker sheet block on an endless loop each side, either the one that is supplied as standard by the boatyard or (recommended) a ratchet block as in the picture.

The small white cord is tied to the boom to stop the ring from slipping down and interfering with the mainsheet blocks.  The mainsheet is inserted through the trapeze ring and the other line pulled through the spinnaker block.  When not in use, it can be let go and the whole thing just dangles harmlessly suspended from the boom.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Mainsheet traveller
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2020, 17:45 »
The system told me that this topic had had no post for more than 120 days.  Actually, it's more like nine years!

Has anyone else tried to improvise a simple mainsheet traveller for a BR20/BRe? Please share details if you have tried it.

When I remember to hook it up, I use my "traveller" in light winds to pull the mainsheet to windward and it certainly seems to help with uphill performance.  I've never had the bottle to use it to pull the sheet to leeward in strong gusts like we're having today.  In theory, provided that you don't upend the boat first, that should help performance too.
Graham

Sea Simon

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2020, 19:48 »
Thanks to your post, I made one of these several years ago GW!

It really is a help upwind in light airs. However....

In gusts like we're having here atm (last night > 60 knts) I'm not sailing at all, never mind trying to go faster!!!

In fact,  I walked out at low tide today, to check my boat/mooring, and found 4 links on my Chinese stainless "storm chain" fractured, apparently due to the shock loads experienced last night.

Boat otherwise aok!
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Peter T

« Reply #3 on: 01 Oct 2020, 22:39 »
Barton track, not a cheap option and a bit tricky to fit but works well.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 02 Oct 2020, 14:45 »
Impressive, and it looks like it’s demountable when not needed.  Unlike with my cheapskate version, it can easily be adjusted to leeward for sailing in higher winds.
Graham

Sea Simon

« Reply #5 on: 03 Oct 2020, 09:16 »
I have serious "traveller envy" PT!

Think I could really have done with one of these last weekend, when I had to make a 3hr one tack beat, to get home in very strong, exceptonially gusty winds. Lots of bomb burst gusts as they dropped down over the cliffs.
Very short, steep head seas too.
Made it very difficult to keep way-on, and not really safe to cleat off even the reefed main.

One of these travellers might have saved my arms/hands from a very rigorous workout?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Peter T

« Reply #6 on: 07 Oct 2020, 21:56 »
It is demountable Graham and yes, it does all the things that a traveller should do i.e. create some sail shape in light winds when hauled up to windward and aids depowering when dropped to leeward.  I was also racing that weekend Simon and it helped a lot.  I have also installed a proper Cunningham and beefed up the kicker so all three work well together.  I discovered that care needs to be taken with the kicker though, my calls to the crew to heave on a bit more were followed quickly by a retraction when the boom started to look too much like a tensioned long-bow.

The traveller does have some disadvantages:

1) something to trip over although, to my surprise, I don't seem to do it that often.  The fact that it is relatively close to the cockpit floor helps.

2) More wet string lying around.  Not really a problem in practice.

As I said before the tricky bit is fitting the thing.  The plates at  each end of the traveller have to be precisely vertical and, in the horizontal direction, precisely at 90 degrees to the traveller (I don't think I have explained this very well!).  The sides of the locker are not vertical and they taper in towards the stern so the spacers have to be quite a complex shape.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 08 Oct 2020, 11:32 »
As I said before the tricky bit is fitting the thing.

In which case I think I’ll stick with my light wind only cheapskate version.
Graham

MarkDarley

« Reply #8 on: 09 Oct 2020, 14:31 »
Clearly you all have sails in better shape than mine....  This suggests I am due for a new suit!
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

Jeff Curtis

« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2020, 12:19 »
To Peter T

This looks brilliant but was there a reason why you did not use the 2:1 system?

Peter T

« Reply #10 on: 02 Nov 2020, 22:38 »
Apologies for the late response.

Not really, I decided to try 4:1 first and have found no reason to switch to 2:1 apart from the reduced amounts of string.  In practice I haven't found the string to be a problem so haven't bothered.