Author Topic: Weymouth/Portland Rally  (Read 27370 times)

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
Weymouth/Portland Rally
« on: 13 May 2014, 18:10 »
Weymouth Rally 5th & 6th July 2014

(Original post is included below. This post will now be used to provide consolidated information about the rally.)

Plan is to sail out of Weymouth/Portland on the weekend of 4th, 5th & 6th July and go out for dinner on the Saturday evening. We will use the slipway and facilities at the National Sailing Academy, which was the sailing base for the 2012 Olympics, and Portland marina. Although launching isn't cheap the facilities are excellent and the slipway and parking much quieter than Weymouth town slip. For those wanting to leave their boats on the water Portland Marina is next to the Academy and the staff are very friendly and helpful. I will keep my boat in the marina and will probably sleep on it.

I will confirm all costs when we have finalised numbers attending, but rates can be found on the following web pages:

http://www.wpnsa.org.uk/day-membership/
http://www.deanreddyhoff.co.uk/portland-marina/just-visiting/visiting-rates/

For those wanting a hotel I recommend the Royal Breakwater. This is walking distance from the Academy and marina.

There are links to some useful websites below. It is worth familiarizing yourself with the harbour chart and regulations - while Portland is dominated by leisure craft this is still a commercial port and there are restricted areas. In practice you won't go wrong if you don't sail in the working areas in the south eastern corner and you don't use the south ship channel. That channel is closed but small motor boats do use it. Don't follow them! HMS Hood was scuttled in the south entrance in 1914 to block the harbour to u-boats, etc. It lies 2m under the surface and there is a high voltage cable strung across the entrance, so anyone with a centreboard and mast would be on a suicide mission to try using this channel! More information to follow.

Confirmed attendees are as follows.

NameNo. SailingBoatMarina?Sat Dinner?
Jonathan Stuart4BReYes (F & S)4
Peter Cockerton2BR 20Yes (S)2
Andy Dingle1NoneN/A1
Colin Morley2BR 20Yes (F&S)2
Michael Rogers1TrouperNo2
John Westoby2BR 20Yes (F&S)2
Reg Barker1BReYes (F&S)2
Paul Wearing4BR 204
Bill Rollo (Sun only)1BR 20NoNo
Helen & Chris Ash2BRe2
Ken & Ann2NoneN/A2
Total923

Useful Websites:

Contact Details

Sailing Academy Main office – 01305 866000 VHF – P4
Portland Marina – 0845 430 2012 VHF – 80
Harbour Master – 01305 824044 VHF – 74

**********Original Post**********

All,

I've been procrastinating for some time about suggesting a meet in Weymouth/Portland and while I don't yet have a suggestion for a particular date I thought I would throw this to the forum before we get any closer to summer!

My home-based sailing is generally out of Weymouth and/or Portland and that provides great access to the sea with the opportunity to sail along the Dorset "Jurassic" coast if conditions allow. I suggest we base ourselves out of the National Sailing Academy (base for the 2012 Olympic sailing) & Portland Marina because those are excellent facilities right on Portland harbour and quieter than Weymouth. Perhaps we launch Friday night / Saturday morning, sail on Saturday and Sunday (locations depending on weather), go out for dinner on Saturday night, have an informal race one day, etc, etc. If the weather's reasonable then in addition to sailing in and around Weymouth bay we could head down to Lulworth Cove, which makes for a spectacular sail and destination.

What do people think? If anyone's interested in this then I'm happy to organise. I could potentially do late June / early July, and then the first 3 weekends of August.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Michael Rogers

Re: Weymouth/Portland Rally
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2014, 18:33 »
It sounds a great idea, Jonathan. I'm interested, subject to dates and possible other calls (family etc) on time. I could probably manage either first half of July, or August (the latter possibly getting a bit 'crowded'?).

Michael

jonno

« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2014, 21:11 »
What do people think? If anyone's interested in this then I'm happy to organise. I could potentially do late June / early July, and then the first 3 weekends of August.

I think it's a great idea.  I'm interested.  I can do late June and the first weekend of July.

Thanks

John

Bill Rollo

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2014, 21:53 »
Jonathan,

Happy to join if dates allow.

Best wishes

Bill

Colin Morley

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2014, 22:04 »
Hi, Jonathan,
I would love to come with my BR 20, if the dates allow. I could make July 4- 6th (before School holidays), 25-27th, August 1st -3rd. The National sailing academy would be a very good base with enormous slipways.
I am not sure whether I will be on my own or have a crew, but I am quite used to sailing on my own if the weather is reasonable.
Colin
BR James Caird

Andy Dingle

« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2014, 22:32 »
Put me for down for a berth...

Andy

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2014, 06:24 »
Jonathon

Depending on dates put me down as well.

Peter Cockerton
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2014, 22:14 »
All,

Thanks for the responses. I suggest we hold this rally on the weekend of 5th & 6th July. Can you all confirm whether you are able to attend on that weekend so we can get a rough idea of numbers? I will then contact the Sailing Academy and see what they can do for us. Sleeping in boats is obviously allowed in the marina and I believe sleeping in camper vans is permitted in the Academy. If you will require "proper" accommodation and want me to investigate the options then please let me know and I will see what's locally available.
Jonathan

Colin Morley

« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2014, 09:49 »
Great.
I will be there +/- crew with the James Caird. I will almost certainly come down Friday evening.
Pity, but a weekend is too short for me to get to South Georgia!
Colin
BR James Caird

Michael Rogers

« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2014, 10:22 »
Include me in (or whatever it was that Sam Goldwyn said). Terrific idea, Jonathan, many thanks for taking it on!

Michael

garethrow

« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2014, 20:25 »
Jonathan

Would have liked to have come, but am in the NE of Scotland that week - so no can do.

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
Gwennol Teifi S17

Andy Dingle

« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2014, 20:38 »
I'll actually be in the UK that weekend Jonathan, so that's all good.
'Er indoors is away dancing so I'll be crewless - but that may be better for accommodation as I can doss down somewhere without the trappings that the distaff side seem to require..

Speak soon.

Andy

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2014, 21:33 »
Looking good for me as well Jonathon

Peter Cockerton

Let me know what digs you find
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 15 May 2014, 23:15 »
Thanks for the updates. I have modified the original post in this topic to include a list of the confirmed attendees and a note of whether you require me to find you accommodation. I will investigate accommodation and look at plans for launching & sailing, etc, and will update the topic soon. In the meantime, anyone else who wants to join us should add a post to this topic and I'll add your name to the list.
Jonathan

Michael Rogers

« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2014, 00:35 »
Should have added that I'll need accommodation of some kind please.