Author Topic: Ullswater 2016  (Read 23519 times)

Matthew P

Re: Ullswater 2016
« Reply #15 on: 11 Oct 2015, 14:42 »
14th-15th May has been confirmed by our hosts at the Glenridding Sailing Centre (GSC).

Mid-May can be a beautiful beautiful time in the Lake District.

These dates seem to fit best with other events I am aware of:

28th May-4th June    Sail Caledonia
11th-18th June         Seafair, Pembrokeshire
25th -26th June        Swallow Yachts Raid Falmouth
2nd - 3rd July           Findhorn Regatta
4th - 8th July            Findhorn Week
9th - 10th July          Teifi Cardigan. Note no meeting yet arranged but there will be suitable tides

To save hauling your boat north, then south and then north again to Scotland it will be possible to park your boat a few weeks at Ullswater.  Please contact GSC for details if you wish to do this.

Please let me know if you might come to Ullswater so I can estimate numbers for GSC. Please use the Forum messaging system if you think you will not come.

For info and feedback on the June 2015 Ullswater event  please see http://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?page_id=17

Please note skippers will be solely responsible for their own safety, crew, property and money associated with this meeting. 

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

Thanks Graham!

Matthew
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

BobT

« Reply #16 on: 11 Oct 2015, 17:36 »
Matthew,
Date is in the diary :) and hope to have a few extra days before or after to get some walking in or even some more sailing! Anyone else looking to do similar?
Regards,
Bob
Bob
BRe "Escape"

Rory C

« Reply #17 on: 12 Oct 2015, 21:57 »
Matthew,
I certainly will come if I possibly can.
Rory

jonno

« Reply #18 on: 13 Oct 2015, 10:01 »
Sorry Matthew, I won't be able to make this weekend.

John

garethrow

« Reply #19 on: 13 Oct 2015, 19:10 »
Hi Matthew

We are definitely interested in attending for mid May W/E

Regards

Garth Rowlands
Gwennol Teifi S17

Bill Rollo

« Reply #20 on: 14 Oct 2015, 19:07 »
Matthew

I would really like to come but am afraid I am a doubtful starter - will need to evade existing commitment! Will try to think of a cunning plan...

Best wishes

Bill

John Perry

« Reply #21 on: 25 Nov 2015, 17:07 »
May 14th & 15th in the diary, and at this point, fully expecting to participate.

Thanks Matthew, best regards…
John,
Bay Raider Expedition 030, "Moireach"

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #22 on: 25 Nov 2015, 22:42 »
It turns out there is a clash with the Velaraid (17-21 May) unless one has 2 or 3 drivers to cross Europe in a day. Google maps says 12 hours from Calais, so if you leave at 2 pm on Sunday and get a midnight ferry it might be doable :-)

Rory C

« Reply #23 on: 08 Dec 2015, 22:33 »
I have no idea what the situation is at Glenridding S C where rivers from Helvellyn come down to the lake but I've seen on the local news that the Glenridding Hotel was totally flooded out.
There is a gallery on the Ullswater Yacht Club site http://www.ullswateryachtclub.org that shows the devastation there and the height that the lake reached.
Much can change in 4 months but.......
Rory C

Matthew P

« Reply #24 on: 09 Dec 2015, 17:09 »
Fortunately flooding on this week's scale is a rare event at Ullswater and we can expect blue skies, balmy temperatures and fair winds in May! If not we can take solace in the Travellers Rest which unlike the Glenridding Hotel is over a hundred feet above the waterline at Ullswater.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

BobT

« Reply #25 on: 09 Dec 2015, 21:18 »
Hi Matthew,
Perhaps a little over organised but accommodation booked and email sent to Glenridding Sailing Centre (before the rain)  as per the directions in the event calendar. Booked to include the week after so hopefully can get some walking in as well.
Bob
Bob
BRe "Escape"

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #26 on: 21 Dec 2015, 22:51 »
I've just declared an entry for the Velaraid, so sorry we won't be there at Glenridding - it was an excellent weekend last year and the sailing centre and all the Swallowboaters made us newbies feel very welcome. Of course we are now Swallowyachters, (but "yacht" seems a bit grand for a 17 footer).

Matthew P

« Reply #27 on: 22 Jan 2016, 22:00 »
The plucky folk at Glenridding Sailing Centre have emailed me to say they will be open in 2016 and ask if we still plan to attend.  So I said yes!  I feel that not only is Ullswater a great venue but GRSC deserves our support after their tough winter.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

BobT

« Reply #28 on: 23 Jan 2016, 12:18 »
Matthew,

Just to confirm still looking to attend, in fact accommodation is booked! I also contacted GRSC, just before the disaster and they were kind enough to get back to me.
Might be a little late but when we are there in May very happy to give some time if they need a pair of hands or two to do some sorting.
Staying on for the follow week to do some walking but also hopefully some sailing would it be OK to store the boat at the club and take her out a couple of times during the week, recognise some payment would be required.

Regards,
Bob
Bob
BRe "Escape"

John Perry

« Reply #29 on: 24 Mar 2016, 13:10 »
Just booked accommodation in Glenridding (not much choice, all booked up) for nights of 13th and 14th. Planning to arrive Friday after lunch. Best regards…
John,
Bay Raider Expedition 030, "Moireach"