Author Topic: Ullswater 2016  (Read 23021 times)

Matthew P

Ullswater 2016
« on: 17 Sep 2015, 22:14 »
We must have behaved ourselves this June because we have been invited back by Glenridding Sailing Centre in June 2016.

For info and feedback on the 2015 Ullswater event see Swallow Yachts Association » Swallow Yachts Forum » Sailing and Events » Ullswater 2015.

Does anyone have a preference for a weekend from 10th June onwards?  Points to consider are:

-  How close to Sail Caledonia (28th May - 4th June) - 10th-12th  June could make a good stop-over on the way back from Scotland or it could be more than spouses/partners will tolerate

-  A potential Teifl rally at Cardigan which is constrained by tides.  Gareth, would you like to advise, presuming you are willing to co-ordinate a Teifl rally again?

-  GSC may again have a ceilidh but are not sure yet which weekend.  If the GSC ceilidh coincides with the weekend we choose then they are again kindly inviting us again.  We must have been very well behaved or they must have been enjoying themselves too much to notice.

No commitments required at this point; just your opinions.  There is no guarantee everyone can be satisfied of course but I'll do my best.  May I suggest a cut-off date for everyones' opinions on 31st October so we can fix the diary after that.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys     
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Anthony Huggett

Re: Ullswater 2016
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2015, 00:08 »
June looks clear at the moment for us, but we are considering doing the Velaraid, which will take out 2 weekends. There is apparently a clash with Sail Caledonia but I'm not sure if that's because it's the same week or overlapping weekends (which might make scheduling worse).

garethrow

« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2015, 17:35 »
Not sure about a Teifi rally next year Matthew

Numbers have been dropping off - I guess because of better  / more convenient rally locations around the UK, so I thought I might give it a miss for a year (there have been 9 on the trott so far) and journey to one or two rallies myself. If there ia a lot of demand my mind could be changed. There is a reasonable tide on the 25th / 26th of June 2016 and another one on the 9th / 10th of July.

Regards

Gareth
Gwennol Teifi S17

BobT

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2015, 15:15 »
Matthew,
June looks good for us and would love to be able to attend Ullswater 2016.

Gareth,
Shame to hear Teifi 2016 may not happen as 2015 was my first raid and a very friendly gathering it was. Kim &  I were looking forward to the next.
Bob
BRe "Escape"

John Perry

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2015, 17:25 »
Would certainly hope to join in with Ullswater 2016. Preferably 17-19th, but relatively open to other dates that are not occupied by Sail Caledonia.
John,
Bay Raider Expedition 030, "Moireach"

Matthew P

« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2015, 12:58 »
Thanks John, 17th-19th June looks the best option so far.  It is 2 weeks after Sail Caledonia and leaves the following weeks free for a Teifi rally at Cardigan.  Does anyone have any strong opinions or better ideas?

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2015, 13:41 »
Possible clash with this one? http://www.seafairhaven.org.uk
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Matthew P

« Reply #7 on: 02 Oct 2015, 10:50 »
Seafair Haven 11th-18th June looks a good event Graham.  What about 2nd-3rd July for Ullswater?

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 02 Oct 2015, 11:22 »
Looks good to me.  I've got an entry in my diary for a Swallow Boats rally at Mylor (with a questionmark) for that weekend but unless somebody else knows differently, I think that might be a mistake.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

John Perry

« Reply #9 on: 04 Oct 2015, 08:53 »
2nd July is my home club's (Findhorn) regatta, which would probably trump Ullswater for me. (A great mid summer, whole week event - no, party!). But clearly go with the majority, no worries, there is just too much to do!
John,

Matthew P

« Reply #10 on: 04 Oct 2015, 23:15 »
Fixing a date for this feels like navigating through a rock-strewn passage, which  I'm not very skilled at, as Gladys's centre board dents bare witness to :-\.

Three questions:

1) John - when does the Findhorn regatta start and finish please?

2) Gareth - do you think we could we hold the Ullswater event on  25th/26th June and perhaps the Teifi rally, if there is one , on the 9th/10th July?

3) Anyone else interested - please state soon any other events/dates that might conflict. 

I promise that by 30th Oct I will stop shifting about and fix a least-worst date even if it conflicts with something else.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

garethrow

« Reply #11 on: 05 Oct 2015, 19:45 »
Matthew

You are articulating what I was attempting to conclude - namely there is too much on and the calender is too crowded. As I said - interest in the Teifi Rally seems to have reduced over the last couple of years (with thanks / apologies to voiced support from BobT and Michael R), so it seems sensible to give the Teifi rally a miss this year after 10 on the trot. If appetite exists I may try again in 2017.

Hope this helps

Regards

Gareth
Gwennol Teifi S17

John Perry

« Reply #12 on: 06 Oct 2015, 22:12 »
Matthew, The Findhorn Regatta is the Saturday and Sunday, 2nd & 3rd July 2016. The Findhorn Week then runs from Mon 4th through Fri 8th July 2016. I would concur about too full diaries!

Best of luck with the juggling,
John
John,

Matthew P

« Reply #13 on: 11 Oct 2015, 12:36 »
14th-15th May has been confirmed by our hosts at the Glenridding Sailing Centre (GSC).

Mid-May can be a beautiful beautiful time in the Lake District.

These dates seem to fit best with other events I am aware of:

28th May-4th June    Sail Caledonia
11th-18th June         Seafair, Pembrokeshire
25th -26th June        Swallow Yachts Raid Falmouth
2nd - 3rd July           Findhorn Regatta
4th - 8th July            Findhorn Week
9th - 10th July          Teifi Cardigan. Note no meeting yet arranged but there will be suitable tides

To save hauling your boat north, then south and then north again to Scotland it will be possible to park your boat a few weeks at Ullswater.  Please contact GSC for details if you wish to do this.

Please let me know if you might come to Ullswater so I can estimate numbers for GSC. Please use the Form messaging system if you think you will not come.

For info and feedback on the June 2015 Ullswater event  please see http://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?page_id=17

Please note skippers will be solely responsible for their own safety, crew, property and money associated with this meeting. 

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 11 Oct 2015, 12:54 »
It's in my diary.
Graham