Author Topic: Do you have any tips for crossing the Channel in a BC 23, gulp...  (Read 4415 times)

John Carney

Well myself and co-owner Ian are planning to take our beloved Cara from Poole to Cherbourg with a view to exploring the Channel Islands and eastern Brittany coast (St Malo in particular) . Planned departure date Thursday 27 July for circa 3 weeks

Does anyone have any experience of doing such an undertaking (I.e. In a relatively small boat) and any recommendations of places to head for or indeed avoid!

In case anyone is interested our progress with be plotted as always on
http://baycruiser23cara.tumblr.com/

Wish us luck!  :)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
John,

In a larger boat I learnt that it is essential to understand the tidal gates in that area.  Get your timing wrong at Cap de la Hague into the Alderney Race and you could find yourself going backwards.  Get it right and you're speeding on your way.  A proper tidal atlas of the area is a great help.

Good luck!
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Rob Johnstone

John,

I assume you are crossing from Poole to Cherbourg and then "coasting" from Cherbourg to the Channel Isles? 60+ miles - somewhere between 13 and 15 hours between entrances with a favourable wind. You may be navigating in the dark. As with Graham I have only done the trip in larger boats and the biggest problem that we came across was making sure we didn't get in the way of bigger vessels. You'll not be crossing any "shipping lanes" but you will find ships that seem to do odd things in mid Channel to get themselves lined up for entering such lanes.

One suggestion I would make is for not both of you to be on watch all the time. It would seem to me to be far better to have just one of you "at the helm" and in the open once you have left the immediate vicinity of Poole and its shipping with the other crew member "resting" until you get into the shipping in mid channel, when you'll both be needed to keep an eye out for ships. These big container ships do 16 - 18 kn and come up on you very quickly. As for the cat ferries to the Channel Islands 25kn is not unusual. I've never worked out the range of the visible horizon for Vagabond but (at a guess) it can't be much more than 6 to 8 miles. That's less than 15 minutes for the fast ferries. 

I admire your spirit of adventure and wish you bon voyage..

Rob J

Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
I've never worked out the range of the visible horizon for Vagabond but (at a guess) it can't be much more than 6 to 8 miles. That's less than 15 minutes for the fast ferries. 

One interesting snippet that I was told:  if you can see the bow wave of a ship from the cockpit of an average yacht (or BC23), then it's about 3nm distant. If it's doing around 20 knots, then it's less than 10 minutes away.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Rob Johnstone

Wikepedia agrees with Graham. Looking at the currents for 27th July there will be about 3kn  just to the north of E at peak rate on the flood and  just S of W on the ebb. An "eyeball" voyage plan suggests to me that, given a favourable wind and enough water in Poole harbour, I would  depart Poole harbour on the last of the flood and try to sail at about 180 -  190 magnetic. Assuming 4kn you should be arriving about 14 - 16 hrs later. But I'm probably teaching you how to suck eggs so will shut up.

Don't forget your passports and VAT receipt for the boat!
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Peter Cockerton

Done the crossing three times as crew on a 36 foot X yacht John, and very memorable trips too, departing from Lymington, along the coast and hop over to Cherbourg, Alderney, Guernsey, LĂ©zardrieux, St Malo, Jersey, on one trip popped in Treguier.

Apologies if "sucking eggs"

Couple of things comes to mind that I learnt on the trips:-

The trick of shining a powerful torch up the main on the off-chance that something big hasn't seen you and might just change course on sight of your "lit up" main.

Being familiar on Taking Constant Bearing Decreasing Range readings on approaching shipping to judge likelihood of collision risk.

Plenty of cupa soups for easy hot drinks and boxfuls of mars bars.

On all the return channel crossings the genoa was flown which gave us that extra couple of knots over what the jib was providing, perhaps a code zero might be useful, mine won't be in use if you want to borrow it.

Peter Cockerton

Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Andy Dingle

John.. Interesting project!

It seemed to me to be relevant that everyone who has replied says, yes, they have done this but in larger - and hence, heavier boats and it occurred to me to wonder why you would want to do this in a trailer sailor, that is designed to go on a ferry and then enjoyed when you get there ...!

However, having done about half a dozen passages in open water so far this year all of about 50 odd miles each, in strong tides and in heavy shipping in my own Baycruiser 23 'Equinox' - and with more than my fair share of strong winds. I can reassure you I think she is capable.
But ..  and I may be wrong, but from the pictures on the tumblr web site - it looks like Cara doesn't have spreaders with additional stays on the mast? You may want to have a chat with Matt about this before you go 'off shore' - he certainly insisted I have them when we discussed my order and the type of sailing I knew I'd end up doing. In fact I thought they were now standard on the 23?

My own observations would be to make sure you can shorten sail quickly and efficiently and are well practised. Both head and main sails and in good time - you probably already know that the BC23 will sail very well, with little heel on double reefed main only. With the foresail tucked away, I find it's usually 'calm' enough to make a brew etc - I take it you have some kind of gimbled cooker, you'll need it!

The AIS/DSC is indispensable - Have your CPA set for at least 5 miles. As others point out, the enemy will be be upon you before you know it. An AIS transponder would be even better but I appreciate few have them on our small boats. Radar reflectors are also an asset - even a reactive radar transmitter? You may want to 'book in and out' with the Coastguard - personal thing, up to you.

In my experience using any kind of paper chart on the BC23 is impossible - maybe that's just me. I use a yeoman chart plotter sport (brilliant! Why have they stopped making them?) in conjunction with a conventional chart plotter. I also have an auto helm. EPIRB for peace of mind?

You'll want sufficient means of keeping batteries topped up for a long passage, some of which will be in the dark.

Re documentation, it may be worth having a chat with your insurance company! The BC23 is a cat C boat not designed for this sort of venture .. I doubt Matt either will publicly condone this although privately he may well agree. We took a Parker 21 across the North Sea - the designer (Bill Parker) agreed it was very possible but couldn't officially say 'yes, fine. Go ahead'

Having said all that .. If you're happy you can do it, go for it!

Andy and Equinox .. Baycruiser23 No. 25

John Carney

Thanks to everyone for taking the trouble to provide such helpful and detailed  advice, which I will be sure to take heed of.

I must say the predicted collision times for a low visibility boat are a bit eye watering, all I can remember from having done a trip 20 years ago to Cherbourg is to never think you can make it in front of a super tanker, however tempting!  We have a radar reflector but the idea of a bright torch makes good sense.

We won't leave unless the forecast is fair, we have just bought an EPRIB - apparantly the chandlers sell hardly any flares these days

No gimbled cooker so perhaps a flask of coffee needs sorting

Good idea on the watch rotation, no tillerpilot ia, afraid but hey ho.

The insurers have apprantly covered us with no premium increase  :) and I wasn't thinking of asking for Matts sanction on this one!

Thanks again everyone , John

Michael Rogers

I am re-reading 'The Unlikely Voyage of Jack de Crow', including his account of crossing the Channel in his Mirror dinghy (if anyone hasn't read it, do so ASAP - a uniquely fun book). In a BC23 it should be a piece of cake!

Have fun, and let us know how it goes.

Michael R (Trouper 12 'Cavatina')

Rob Johnstone

Re making a brew up. I used to fill a couple of thermos flasks with black coffee / soup before setting for a long stretch in Vagabond. I also found that she hove to quite successfully, with back jib etc. In that condition, provide some one watched the kettle I think you could probably brew up. It also made peeing that much more comfortable.

A piece of cord looped round the tiller and secured over the cockpit coaming to each aft cleat should take some strain off the helmsman.

I hope all goes well for you. At the moment Ugrib has the wind more or less Westerly throughout the day, between 11 and 13 kn.
Rob J

Chris R

Have never done this in a small boat, but as a professional mariner I would very strongly recommend that you buy something to "get yourself seen".
Ideally an AIS transponder, as radar reflector performance is inconsistent and always debatable...but get that too, basic ones are not expensive.
Rightly or wrongly, bridge watch keepers have to place a very high level of reliance on electronic navaids.

As for the seaworthiness of the boat itself, I'm sure you'll be fine, given reasonable weather.
After all a very brave man sailed a drascombe lugger to Australia, and others have sailed home to UK from Greece I believe?
Perhaps have a look on the Drascombe forum for some ripping yarns?

John Carney

Thanks everyone for the very useful advice, well we made it arrived Cherbourg nearly Two weeks ago now in 14.5 hours from Poole, having motor sailed most of the way. Despite good winds and two reefs the whol way we needed e engine to cut through the waves and keep our speed up at 4.5 to 5.0 knots. Cherbourg was a welcome, hospitable and good value destination.  Now traversing the north Brittany coast, if you wish to follow our travels please check out the blog

http://baycruiser23cara.tumblr.com

Thanks again