Author Topic: BC23 - looking for a quick tour round  (Read 3869 times)

markbatey

BC23 - looking for a quick tour round
« on: 24 Jul 2017, 14:56 »
Hi all,

Having sold my Bayraider 17 after a happy couple of years in favour of a yacht more suitable to the north east coast, I've been sailing an old wooden Holman 26 since then. Lovely old boat, but the same stretch of coast is starting to pall just a little.

So I'm wondering whether to rejoin the happy Swallow Yachts throng with a BC23 - a little scared of the outlay though, and I have a load of questions. Including the amount of interior space and how well they sail in bigger conditions - a lot of what I see Swallow boats about in seems to be pretty sheltered waters. Not that I have an intentions of being heroic - I go along with Rob's Vagabond blog where he says that he avoids going out when there's a 6 in the forecast!

So, is there anyone a reasonable driving distance from Newcastle who could very kindly show me round their BC23? I'd go to Wales and look at the one for sale there, but it's a bit of a trek for me.

Cheers

Mark

Andy Dingle

Re: BC23 - looking for a quick tour round
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2017, 15:57 »
Hi Mark..

My BC23 is in the Humber Cruising Association marina in Grimsby ..

http://www.hcagrimsby.co.uk

It's about three hours down the A1, then M180/A180 straight to the marina..

You're very welcome to come down for a visit - real northern manstuff here, not yer soft southern girly sheltered waters! Bit like the Tyne in fact, without the fog ..
Can go for a sail if you like if we can sort a date around a reasonable HW time (neaps or springs), I can get a nice four hrs without penning (locking) in and out. Local tide tables are on the web site link above and the beer is £1.80 a pint.

See my previous posts if you're not yet convinced of the Baycruiser 23's ability in heavier airs. Yes, she is a little light, but then it is a trailer sailer. She looked after me pretty well, even in a gale 8 and I regularly end up sailing in 6's plus..  (bad planning or bad forecasting I assure you, not intentionally!).

equinox25 at gmx.com

Regards

Andy and Equinox.

markbatey

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2017, 16:36 »
Hi Andy,

I've been reading your exploits off Gibraltar Point - sounds like both you and boat did extremely well in trying circumstances!

Thanks very much for the offer, I'd love to come down for a sail. Early next week HW looks to be middle of the day - would that work for you?

Mark

Andy Dingle

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2017, 18:50 »
Mark.. Yes, that should work OK .. send me an email on equinox25 at gmx.com and I'll give you my phone number to sort something out..

Rory C ..  I've just sent a pm to you in response to yours. Not sure if it went as although the forum says it was sent ok, I don't see it in my list of sent messages? ... or email me as above, I may have a few suggestions for you..

Regards

markbatey

« Reply #4 on: 04 Aug 2017, 10:00 »
Well we've been out, thanks to Andy John and Equinox - an excellent short sail in the Humber in interesting conditions. Gust of F6 from time to time which Equinox coped with happily with two reefs in the main and a bit out of the jib (I think...). She certainly moves along very nicely and managed with the gusts with very little drama - a much stiffer boat than I was expecting. None of this is news to most people on this forum of course, but it's reassuring to a potential new owner.

As someone who is used to scrambling to the mast to put in a reef and dealing with tieing up the loose bit of the sail, lines back to the cockpit and lazyjacks are a revelation - not unique to the BC of course, that's just me making it from the 1960s to somewhere closer to the present day.

Plus my other main question was cabin space, and there's more room to stretch out and get comfortable than most of the pictures out there imply. I think the German yacht reviewer in one video I've seen must have been about 6'7" tall. It's the opposite of the people who put on adverts for sofas who apparently hire miniature models to lounge around in them to make the sofas appear larger.

So a great boat all round, I'm very impressed. Sadly I've been banned from spending my life savings on a new one, so I'll be looking out for a secondhand one.

Mark

Andy Dingle

« Reply #5 on: 04 Aug 2017, 15:59 »
That's the thing with these Germans Mark, always making out they're bigger than they really are ...! (Allegedly!)

Glad you enjoyed both the day out and the boat. (Yes, we did have some jib out, reefed down to balance the main).
The Baycruiser 23 is indeed one of a kind. I know, I would say that! But all who have sailed with me, regardless of their previous experience, all say much the same as you, even now after three years together she still makes me smile.
As discussed in another thread re Swallow Yachts of whatever flavour, she would take some beating in a race - and as for 'greeney's' over the side and flooded lockers.. forget it! Imagine! Actually getting wet when sailing... We are Englishmen after all..!?

Look forward to a return visit oop North for some 'Nukey Broon' and plenty of sailing in company when you get your hands on a 23 ..

Andy and Equinox

Matthew P

« Reply #6 on: 04 Aug 2017, 17:24 »
Speaking as a 6'5" Englishman who got very wet indeed inaugurating the turtle club (my fault - not the boat's) I can only say I received tactful and kind support from my German friend in contrast to some untactful comments by others.  Ideas and useful advice are welcome from wherever it comes from.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys   
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Andy Dingle

« Reply #7 on: 04 Aug 2017, 17:46 »
Aahh - but do you have a Baycruiser 23..?!
I am actually married to a German for the past 41 years..  she doesn't have much tact though either..

Prost!

Andy

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 06 Aug 2017, 16:58 »
Speaking as a 6'5" Englishman who got very wet indeed inaugurating the turtle club (my fault - not the boat's) I can only say I received tactful and kind support from my German friend in contrast to some untactful comments by others.

All I can remember of Sail Caledonia 2012 is a photo of banknotes drying out on a hot water pipe.  Plus this extremely rare picture of one of Matthew's crew looking happy....

To be fair, we can also play the 'spot the skipper' game from the Swallow Raid in 2015.  I'm impressed that I managed to keep my hat on.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Wave Sweeper

« Reply #9 on: 06 Aug 2017, 17:09 »
I don't recall them coming again Graham?

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 06 Aug 2017, 17:13 »
I've seen Margaret since (not on Gladys), still looking cheerful....
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III