Author Topic: Jib furling vs jib reefing  (Read 2761 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Jib furling vs jib reefing
« on: 09 Sep 2017, 09:07 »
We are often reminded that the furling system on the jibs of the smaller boats, like the BR20, are not the same as jib reefing.  But if you are reaching under reduced sail or sailing downwind under jib alone (coming slowly into shore, for example), does it matter?  By part furling the jib, you have effectively reefed it and as you are not beating into the wind, the sail's aerodynamic properties are pretty irrelevant.  If you have a jib boom topping lift, the aft end of the boom can be kept lifted off the foredeck independently of the tension on the jib outhaul. 

Am I missing something?
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Peter Cockerton

Re: Jib furling vs jib reefing
« Reply #1 on: 09 Sep 2017, 10:01 »
Graham

Good point and made I guess from numerous experiences, do we need to consider the furling line and the small cleat fitted on the BR20, with the jib partially furled the sail will want to unfurl with the wind pressure and strain the furling line retention cleat. Not a problem when the sail is completely unfurled as the strain is taken by the luff wire and clew outhaul. So ok I guess in light winds, "beefing" up the cleat not an option as the furling line diameter would need to be increased and then the drum would become over wound.

Peter C
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 09 Sep 2017, 16:38 »
Peter,

My original furling line Clamcleat was made of plastic and the teeth wore out eventually, as seems to happen with all the plastic ones.  I've now replaced it with an aluminium version, which should hold the line in all but the worst conditions.
Graham

Ged

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2017, 09:43 »
As I understand it, the issue with sailing under part furled jib is that the top will tend to unfurl and may flog.
Ged
Storm 17 'Peewit'

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2017, 13:50 »
It hasn't happened to me so far but I'll keep an eye out to see if really strong winds do this.
Graham

Ged

« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2017, 16:53 »
I've not tried it in Peewit but in my other dinghy, which has a genoa it definitely got blown out at the top, so may depend on the headsail size and how tightly it's furled.
Ged
Storm 17 'Peewit'