Author Topic: New BayCruiser 23  (Read 29572 times)

David Hall

Re: New BayCruiser 23
« Reply #45 on: 02 Mar 2018, 13:15 »
To this.....

Just the rigging to go now

Exciting times

markbatey

« Reply #46 on: 02 Mar 2018, 13:27 »
Looking really good - I'll be interested to see how that teak cockpit coaming works. Not long to wait now. Hope you didn't drive to Wales to take that pic?

Andy Dingle

« Reply #47 on: 02 Mar 2018, 14:01 »

Yes - Looks gorgeous ..

But just you wait until that lovely coppercoat goes green and manky! Seems to work though after three and a half years, only have to give the underside a power wash off each year.
I've left my BC23 in the water this winter and so far there doesn't appear to be any ill effects.

David? Do I see you have coppercoated your rudder?

Andy and Equinox

PS - Off topic I know, but what would the cruising collective think of a gathering of BC23's somewhere this summer, or sometime? I'm not sure what the collective noun for a group of BC23's is? A disaster of Baycruisers perhaps?!

David Hall

« Reply #48 on: 02 Mar 2018, 16:37 »
Mark
No, all pictures were taken by Lara, the collection trip to Wales should be on 21 March. Lara has (so far) sent through 21 fantastic pictures capturing the build process.

Andy
Yes, I had the rudder specially copper coated as she will be berthed in a marina where they charge by overall length. Interestingly the engine well is also copper coated so hopefully the green will stay away.

Off topic
I'm not sure about calling us a "disaster" of BC23s, would maybe prefer a "pod".
The Northern Fleet (well three of us anyway) are having a get together in 10 days time for a pre-season scoop and chat about the year ahead. Watch this space (or maybe another thread) for any suggestions.

David & Lady G

Andy Dingle

« Reply #49 on: 02 Mar 2018, 18:14 »
Sounds interesting David..  If Grimsby can count as 'northern' then perhaps I can qualify to join a northern fleet - providing the induction ceremony is not too onerous..?!
Where will Lady G be moored?
I'd be very interested in joining in any events we can get together somewhere? - or even trying out each other's sailing area's - something like that?

I too am in a marina and keep my rudder in an upright position to prevent any growth on it - either way, rudder up or down, she'll be the same length?
I've had no growth in the outboard well, tho' I do find that I get muddy deposits accumulating which is easily flushed out when either moving or just running the engine.

You'll find the coppercoat does turn a pretty ghastly shade of green (it's meant to) when it's been in contact with sea water.

Andy and Equinox

David Hall

« Reply #50 on: 04 Mar 2018, 12:29 »
Of course Andy, the Northern Fleet is open and welcoming!! I posted way back on 3 November (on this thread) that we were already 4 strong (Mark,Nick,You and I). Mark is based at Royal Quays on the River Tyne and I will be joining him in a couple of weeks. Nick is based in Amble, so quite close. We will definitely plan for us all to be getting together soon.
I fear that our marina "rate measurer" may well consider a BC23 LOA to be somewhat longer than 6.98m (when the rudder is up) to maximise their income. As I also would worry about protecting it from damage from passing berth holders. Getting it anti-founded and keeping it down, seems the best thing to do.

David & Lady G

Andy Dingle

« Reply #51 on: 04 Mar 2018, 16:43 »

Definitely 'up for that' - to use the modern parlance!

Co-incidentally, I visited Royal Quays just a few weeks ago to see a rather nice Island Packet 29 that's for sale in the marina. Heck of a boat, but I'm not entirely convinced she is for me (I'm searching for a bigger heavier boat for more extended cruising in the near future).

I hear there is another BC23 in Scarbrough as well?

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #52 on: 06 Mar 2018, 22:21 »
Re Copper Coat: a few posts ago Andy reported on the longevity of This anti foul method. I suspect the "northern pod" swim in an area where fouling is more prevalent. Certainly Vagabond acquied more weed and "shell fish" on her hull during the leg up the North Sea than she did in the two other legs. Perhaps there more nitrogen in the water (from the outfall of the large European rivers) than there is in the other parts of the seas around Britain?
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"