Author Topic: Bayraider 17 - Single-handed Rigging and Sailing  (Read 4250 times)

indy

Hi

I'm new to the forum and looking at the possibility of getting a Bayraider 17 here in New Zealand.

Having searched through the forum, I can't seem to find a clear answer to the question: can BR 17 be easily rigged single-handed? If so, how long does it take?

I'm fairly new to sailing, and would be doing a lot of day sailing on my own. I've considered factors like safety, easy of use, weight of the boat, trailering, etc., and BR 17 seems to check a lot of the boxes.

I would really appreciate your thoughts and feedback on whether BR 17 can be rigged and sailed single-handed easily.

Thanks

IanCollinson

Re: Bayraider 17 - Single-handed Rigging and Sailing
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2017, 11:20 »
Hi Indy. I am supposed to be helped with the rigging by my two boys, but that never happens and I have to do all the rigging myself. Absolutely no problem. I normally set everything up on the trailer with the main harbour furled before launching. From what I have read on the forum the harbour furling is heavier and more awkward with the BR20 and people I think use a topping lift to keep the sail secured but the BR17 is much lighter and there is no need for that. If you have a spinnaker halyard that is ideal for securing the sail. it would be more difficult without.
Launching is cetainly easier with someone else to hold the boat when it comes off the trailer, especially if there is a decent wind, but I have managed OK by myself several times.
Setting the sails once launched again is easier with someone tending the tiller but the boat stays well into wind with the mizzen set and pulled right in. She will stay head to wind while you release the harbour furl and do everything else until you unfurl the jib when she will come straight round and you are sailing.
I have had our BR17 for 4 years now, and she is brilliant. Without the ballast she is almost as lively as a dinghy but with the ballast is she is secure and dependable for day sailing.Go for it!
BR17 Rosalita

Charles Scott

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2017, 12:42 »
I agree with everything Ian has said, but would add that if the 17 is anything like the 20, don't expect to be able to row against or across anything more than the slightest zephyr; make sure you have a reliable engine and a reliable anchor.
  Charles Scott.
  BR 20 Augusta Thomasina

IanCollinson

« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2017, 17:49 »
yes, and even with a motor you can get in difficulties if you forget to put the centreboard down! Originally I had the small Honda recommended by Matt,  but had to change it because there was no neutral. I have found neutral more useful than reverse, especially since you can easily twist the engine right round if needed.

The Honda was reliable but did fail to start once when I was out at sea and the wind got too gusty but I was fine getting home under jib and mizzen. The BR17 is easy to manoeuvre under sail with the main down, another fantastic design feature of the boat
BR17 Rosalita

garethrow

« Reply #4 on: 26 Dec 2017, 11:58 »
Indy

Whilst I don't disagree with any of the comments made, have you considered the Storm 17 as an alternative?

I have had a Storm 17 for 11 years with no real issues and quite often rig / sail on my own on the sea in roughish conditions. I have tried sailing a BR17 and find the Storm better in many aspects. With the BR you tend to feel as if you are sitting on the boat rather than in it. It is also quite a wet boat compared to the Storm. The Storm really is very stable and light - particularly a wood / epoxy version, so easy to manhandle by yourself. It is under the Bespoke boats section of the Swallow website. If you are planning on doing a lot of solo trips I would order one with 2 reefing points on the main - to give you more options and compensate for the lack of water ballast. The only real advantage of a BR17 is having a planning hull, as the Storm, being a double ender, won't plane. She does however surf well! Whilst the water ballast is undoubtably a good thing in the BR20 and larger boats, I am not convinced it suits the 17' boats. It adds weight and complexity to the boat (and cost!) and detracts from the comfort. The lack of ballast can be compensated for with reduced sail area and the ketch rig. I sail my Storm alone in up to F3 and then start to resuce sail area as the wind increases.

In terms of engin choice - I agree that the 2.3hp Honda's lack of neutral is a real pain, but I have stuck with mine in view of its air cooling and therefore easier maintanance / higher reliablity. I only use an engin if I really need it / to get me out of trouble - so reliability comes top of my wish list.

I am sure there will be many who disagree with me on the above - but it may help you to consider the other options available.

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
Gwennol Teifi S17

IanCollinson

« Reply #5 on: 27 Dec 2017, 16:21 »
Hi Gareth

The Storm 17 looks like a fantastic boat and in fact it is what I originally ordered. While I was waiting for it to be built I was a bit put off by comments in this forum that it can be quite tippy and difficult to get back into if you are on your own and in the water. I have no idea if that is right or not, but it was enough to make me change my order to a BR17. When the boat arrived I was surprised just how lively the BR17 is without the ballast. Great fun especially with an experienced crew but I have been very glad of the ballast when I have had inexperienced or young/old crew/passengers or on day sails. You can start off the day with full ballast and a reef then if the wind drops later take out the reef and then empty the ballast to make the most of the wind. This gives so much more flexibility than just one or two reefs. (I have found that the self draining ballast does not work very well on the BR17 but a small portable electric pump works fine)
BR17 Rosalita

david

« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2017, 16:47 »
Hi Indy,
               I have a BayRaider 20. The rigging and set up are similar on the 20 and 17.  I usually sail alone and set up and take down by myself with no real issues. Here is a you tube video of me setting up my boat at the ramp. You will see that the boat rigs easily. Usually the only interruption I have in the set up is people stopping to ask questions and talking about the boat  :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j34AL4pxge8

Cheers.
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

indy

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2018, 00:05 »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice. Very helpful.

Ged

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2018, 09:39 »
I remember when I first started sailing, lying in bed a bit stressed trying to work out how I was possibly going to launch and sail my dinghy single handed, up until then I'd always been at a sailing school with instructors and crew to help. With a bit of practise and reading and a few mistakes it all becomes second nature.

If you belong to a club there are often folks who will be happy to help.

I've now got a Storm 17 and often sail her on my own...  I use a heavy duty combi trailer so I can get the wheels wet without worrying about it, the trolley has a removable tow hitch so you can still use your car to launch and retrieve it.

Have fun in your new boat, it's one of life's simple pleasures :D
Ged
Storm 17 'Peewit'

Ged

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2018, 09:40 »
Where are you based? There may even be a local Swallow yacht owner that could help.
Ged
Storm 17 'Peewit'

indy

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jan 2018, 03:46 »
Thanks Ged. I'm in Auckland, New Zealand. And I've met another owner of a Bayraider 17 here. There aren't too many of these boats in NZ!

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 15 Jan 2018, 09:44 »
Would that be the famous Mrs Chippy, who has contact details on this site?
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III