Author Topic: newcomer to the BC 23 fold; couple of quiries  (Read 2900 times)

Chris and Sandra

newcomer to the BC 23 fold; couple of quiries
« on: 31 Mar 2018, 11:29 »
Hi,
We are the new owners of Loulabel; perhaps that should be caretakers [ Keith set a high standard]
Our area is SW Scotland so getting to know the boat will be Luce Bay and Wigtown Bay hopefully with the Firth of Clyde and Western Isles when we get going. Coming to it from a Drascombe lugger apart from all the extra ropes two things come to mind. Most of our slips are traditional[  no pontoons.] So once launched is it possible to climb up in the bows as we do now? Secondly it seems a long way up then down lifting the outboard in and out. How to folk cope or do they tow with it in place?
 I have a sep ? about a leak but that had better go in technical.
Hope every-one has a lovely Easter week-end
Chris and Sandra

Andy Dingle

Re: newcomer to the BC 23 fold; couple of quiries
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2018, 21:24 »
Hello Chris and Sandra.

I certainly would not recommend you try and hoist your outboard over the bows after launching. It is far easier to fit it whilst she is on the trailer and you can even perfectly well tow with it in place - in fact in my case it is useful to do so as it makes the nose weight lighter on my tow bar.
I have a mercury 6 which weighs in at about 27 kg and can just lift it onto the outside of the coaming (use some protective sheeting) then I get on board pick it up and lower it onto the transom bracket. My fuel tank lives in the starboard locker.

I can see your problems re boarding! Again I personally would not even attempt climbing over the bows! When she is in the water under control with long mooring lines and the vehicle and trailer are put away, bring the boat back in stern first using the mooring lines with engine lifted so not to damage the prop and she can be boarded up the swim ladder in very shallow water.

Or perhaps launch with one person on board to take control of the boat whilst the other parks vehicle and trailer, the boat then being brought back in stern first to the slip/beach area using long mooring lines and engine lifted to prevent damage to the prop and the second person boards up the swim ladder. Keep the rudder lifted as it is quite deep and you'll damage it if you go too shallow, especially backwards.

Reverse for recovery back to trailer using the kedge anchor to pull yourself back into the slip/beach.
Fishermans waders or a light weight sailing drysuit is really useful.

Just some suggestions that may help you?

If you have any other queries then put 'em up here - we have loads of BC23 experience between us all!

Andy
BC23 Equinox

Andy Dingle

« Reply #2 on: 03 Apr 2018, 10:26 »
Chris..
I just leave the engine in the down position when towing - you're supposed to cover the propeller with a prop bag - apparently! If you do want to lift it (no reason why not I think) pad the leg either side with some fenders to support it and stop it twisting, and hence rubbing on the side walls of the outboard well.
Don't forget to make sure it's lifted when launching though!

In my earlier missive I should have also suggested using a kedge at the bows to keep the bows head up into the waves - if it's a slip you regularly use maybe you can make up a 'permanent' mooring buoy to use..? (Fishermen seem to do what they want on and around public slips!).

I knew about your boat as I know a guy from Burton Waters who have a branch near me as well as in Ipswich - and I'm nosey!

Cheers
Andy

John Carney

« Reply #3 on: 06 Jun 2018, 14:13 »
Welcome !

When towing we tend to pull the engine up and leave it on a blanket in the cockpit to avoid it wobbling too much

John (Cara BC23 No 18!)

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #4 on: 07 Jun 2018, 22:15 »
When towing, I pull the engine up and leave it in the "straight ahead" position rather than turning it on the side. I then support the "leg" of the engine with a suitable piece of string tied between the strips on the sides of the engine well. This takes the strain off the wire bracket that holds the engine in the lifted position.

If you leave the engine down, it's a moot point as to whether you need to have a day glo orange cover over the prop as it is in front of the trailer board. The day glo cover is meant to make following cars aware of the prop over hanging the rear of the board in the case of most inflatables.

I think we probably should have a yellow and black diagonally striped board stuck on the end of the mast!
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"