Author Topic: Waterproof case for tablet  (Read 2797 times)

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
Waterproof case for tablet
« on: 17 Apr 2018, 09:56 »
Can anyone recommend a good waterproof case for a tablet? I'm looking for something other than the generic tablet dry-bags (e.g. Overboard). Must be waterproof and would be a bonus if the tablet can be charged when in the case. I haven't bought the tablet yet so am open to cases for iPads or Androids, etc.

Otterbox for iPad looks good but isn't fully waterproof while Lifeproof do produce a waterproof case but it fits the iPad Air and nothing more recent. I've also found Armor-X but reviews are mixed. I'd really appreciate any suggestions (other than that a tablet has not place on a boat :-) !) or recommendations. Thanks.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Waterproof case for tablet
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2018, 13:37 »
I've got the smaller screen (9.7") version of the iPad Pro (very good) with a Lifeproof Nuud case (also very good).  A lot of money altogether but I use it for just about everything, including GPS Navionics apps, reading the newspaper, listening to the radio, Skype calls, taking photos, email, internet etc etc. 

The case is properly waterproof but can easily be charged through a trapdoor in the base.  The screen is not covered but there's a clever seal around the edge that keeps water out from the rest of the device.  When the screen needs a clean, I run it under the tap!  Being rubber armoured, the case protects everything except the screen from knocks. When not in use, a Portfolio magnetic cover (which doubles as a stand) protects the front.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2018, 22:41 »
Lifedge made the one I keep my ipad 2 in but I don't think they are available any more.

Rob

Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2018, 10:04 »
Thanks. I came across Lifedge but they don't seem to exist any more. Thanks, Graham, for the feedback on Lifeproof. Of the cases available they are the ones with the most consistently good reviews and look the most professional. I've found further cases on the US Amazon site but I'm not convinced about the quality. At the moment I'm inclined to go with Lifeproof and buy a tablet to fit the case rather than vice versa. We are also thinking that if we get a good-specced iPad then we will use that for email, etc, with a separate keyboard and will work from the boat from time to time - that's the plan anyway!
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Peter Taylor

« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2018, 16:01 »
If you already have any Apple stuff, iphone, iMac etc. then definitely get an iPad! If you have windows and or android it's less obvious.

However, I've got an iPad prop 9.7" which runs Digital Yacht Navlink and a Sony Xperia loaded with visitmyharbour charts and I much prefer the iPad (but then I'm very much a Mac person!). I can't see either well in the sun, possibly the ipad is slightly better (despite a non-reflective film on the Sony). But again, that may be my Mac bias coming through.

My iphone lives in a Lifedge case which has served well over several years. Prompted by this thread I'll now be buying a Lifeproof Nuud case for the ipad - it looks very similar to the Lifedge in what it does. Thanks Graham for bringing it to my attention!

Peter

Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2018, 15:29 »
The Logictech ipad keyboard has served me well and has a good "feel" about it.
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"