Author Topic: National Handicap Cruisers  (Read 2195 times)

johnmkhubbard

National Handicap Cruisers
« on: 29 Apr 2018, 22:10 »
I am planning to join the Warsash Club Thursday Pursuit Race series in May. For the Cornish Raid a couple of years ago Portsmouth ratings were used  - for the BRe it was 1085. has anyone got more recent info for a BRe?

Andy Dingle

Re: National Handicap Cruisers
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2018, 09:33 »
Hello John.

I too race my BC23 (and other boats) under NHC.
I contacted the RYA to establish the base numbers for all the current Swallow Yachts.  Here is their reply from Suzie Holland from the RYA. I trust they have now updated their national data base with these numbers which is available from the RYA website.

So you will be racing under a base number of 0.770 which is a pretty good handicap - bear in mind though that this is a starting number, it will change with your position in the fleet each week, ie the better you do, the more your handicap increases, conversely if you get back in when everyone else is in the bar, then your handicap will decrease.

The club running the races will have the right software when they produce the results which will show your change in NHC number for your next race - our club runs this system for Sunday racing every week.

Hi Andy,

Please find below NHC numbers for the Swallow Yachts, as requested:

BayCruiser 26     0.830

BayCruiser 23     0.815

BayRaider Expedition     0.770   

BayRaider 20      0.770

These numbers would be a good starting point.

I have also attached an NHC ‘Calculator’ that the builder and Class Association can use for checking numbers of vessels and creating new ones. Please may I ask that this is not distributed amongst individual sailors, but kept as a Class/Builder tool.

I hope this will help you work out base numbers for any other boats that do not appear on our current NHC base list. Please note: NHC is not a measurement based scheme and therefore we do not encourage the use of the calculator to re-measure or re-weigh boats for which a base number exists.

If you have any further queries or need any more help, please do let me know.

Kindest regards,

Suzie

Suzie Holland

Technical Administrator

Royal Yachting Association

T: 023 8060 4200 | E:suzie.holland@rya.org.uk

UNQUOTE

Hope this is useful to you and others as we go into the racing season ..
However, I now hear there are some ructions at the RYA concerning this system .. 

Regards

Andy
BC23 No. 25 Equinox

johnmkhubbard

Re: National Handicap Cruisers
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2018, 11:22 »
Thanks so much - just the information I was looking for. :)