Author Topic: Sail Caledonia alternatives  (Read 4405 times)

Ged

Sail Caledonia alternatives
« on: 14 Sep 2018, 20:29 »
I'm not going to be able to join Sail Caledonia next year as both my kids have got exams but would love to have a similar adventure. It doesn't have to be an organised event. I particularly like the journey aspect of Sail Caledonia, rather than a series of details form a fixed base.  Bearing in mind that I have a Storm 17 with a boom tent does anybody have any suggestions for multi-day adventures?
Ged
Storm 17 'Peewit'

mark1

Re: Sail Caledonia alternatives
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2018, 20:50 »
sounds good, there'd be so much to choose from though. I'd be thinking about maybe launching kyleakin on skye, giving access to loch duich, sound of sleat, and some relatively sheltered channels to explore around raasay, scalpay etc.
Making it an A to B i'm not sure about, I've kayaked from Kinloch Hourn to the head of loch Duich and walked back through the hills to get my car, but finding good slipways would probably be a bit trickier!

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2018, 20:53 »
Ged,

The Venice Raid (if it takes place next year) and Dorestad in the Netherlands are both multi-day journeys in company.  I don’t think either are particularly competitive, are in enclosed waters and are reported to be great fun.

The Dinghy Cruising Association holds regular rallies in interesting places, such as around the Farne Islands.  I’ve been tempted to join but felt that my BR20 was too long to be classed as a dinghy.  The DCA president swans around in a boat of less than 15’.  He’s written a very good book about it https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dinghy-Cruising-Companion-Roger-Barnes/dp/1408179164.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Ged

« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2018, 11:21 »
Thanks for the suggestions, the Western Isles are beyond my level of experience at the moment but are what I'm ultimately aiming for.

I've been a member of the DCA a couple of times but have never joined one of their rallies, I was put off initially by the general tone of their forum.  Maybe I should join again.

I think we've decided on a row and sail from the 'source to the sea' 250 miles down the Thames.

Anybody here got experience sailing the tidal part of the Thames?
Ged
Storm 17 'Peewit'

Ape Ears

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2018, 13:55 »
Ged,

It is worth reading 'The Unlikely Voyage of Jack de Crow' by A J MacKinnon. His account chronicles his exploits in an expedition from Elsmere in Shropshire to the Black Sea sailing and rowing his Mirror dinghy. He took a detour up to Oxford and then down to the tidal Thames before crossing the Channel.

The book was recommended to me by Michael Rogers of 'Trooper' fame. It is a very amusing account and enjoyable read from which you may find some useful nuggets of information and inspiration ?

Regards, Andrew
Andrew
SeaRaider No1 'Craic'
BayRaider Expedition No123 'Apus' (Swift)

Ged

« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2018, 15:10 »
Hi Andrew
I've read it and loved every minute of it!
Must read it again though, although it might make it difficult to stop when I get to the sea!
Ged
Storm 17 'Peewit'

Llafurio

« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2018, 17:05 »
I'm not going to be able to join Sail Caledonia next year as both my kids have got exams but would love to have a similar adventure. It doesn't have to be an organised event. I particularly like the journey aspect of Sail Caledonia, rather than a series of details form a fixed base.  Bearing in mind that I have a Storm 17 with a boom tent does anybody have any suggestions for multi-day adventures?

www.semainedugolfe.com
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan

Julian and Karen

« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2018, 18:48 »
Hi Ged

We launched our Baycruiser 23 at Shepperton earlier this year – and motored and sailed the tidal Thames to the Medway stopping at Limehouse and Erith on the way. Going through the centre of London in a small boat was a great experience though we were not brave enough to put our mast up until we stopped at Limehouse – we could possibly have done this after Westminster bridge but with an air draft of 9.5m there was not much margin - there is useful information about bridge heights,etc on the pla site if you are planning the trip http://www.pla.co.uk/Safety/Thames-Bridges-Heights. After Limehouse we sailed where there was wind on an empty river – seeing very few boats after the O2, where the fast ferries end. There are a few more details on our trip on https://footstepsbluedragon.tumblr.com/

Ged

« Reply #8 on: 25 Sep 2018, 17:56 »
Thanks for the write up. 
There's a lot of fuss made about taking a small boat through the Pool of London, your trip didn't seem too perilous, but any tips would be appreciated.

Ged
Storm 17 'Peewit'

jonno

« Reply #9 on: 25 Sep 2018, 20:26 »
Ged

I'd endorse your choice of the Thames for a voyage. I've done most of it (most of Cricklade to the London Eye) by canoe. It's a dramatic trip - as the river widens and the locks get bigger. And you get an extraordinary variety of scenery.

From memory, I think you might struggle to start at Cricklade in anything bigger than a canoe. I think there is a slipway there - but the 'river' is so narrow you can just about step across it.

Again from memory, most of the Thames locks offer 'facilities' to users of the river; several allow camping.

The Tideway through London concentrates the mind.

I've considered doing it again in Ella. But as others in this thread point out, there's so much choice.

John

Ged

« Reply #10 on: 26 Sep 2018, 09:43 »
Hi Jonno
Thanks for the endorsement, it looks like a wonderful trip.
I'm planning to do the first part by foot, there's a stone in a field in a village called Kemble that supposedly marks the source, then Cricklade to Lechlade by canoe, Lechlade to putney in my Swamscott dory and the rest in my Storm 17.

Ged
Storm 17 'Peewit'

jonno

« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2018, 12:09 »
Sounds like a great plan Ged. And you address brilliantly that problem so many of us face - the guilt of owning  a small fleet of boats: you need them all! For one trip!

Ged

« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2018, 14:55 »
 :)
Ged
Storm 17 'Peewit'

Ged

« Reply #13 on: 01 Oct 2018, 09:35 »
Jonno, did you think there were any decent stretches where you thought it would be worth setting a sail.
The sailing rig in my dory is quick and easy to set and take down but it takes up a lot of space in an already small boat.
I would love to sail some of it if at all possible but would also like the space for camping kit etc
Ged
Storm 17 'Peewit'

jonno

« Reply #14 on: 01 Oct 2018, 19:21 »
Ged

A great question.  I don't know, can't remember. There are a heck of a lot of bridges.  And there might be little favourable wind! Even so, if I was doing it I'd really want to sail: I'd struggle to leave the sailing kit behind. But it might be a lot of faffing and paraphernalia for little time under sail.

I guess you might find out from the internet all the information you need.

Sorry, not much help.

John