Author Topic: Bre Jib Stick  (Read 3902 times)

johnguy

Bre Jib Stick
« on: 17 Jan 2019, 17:29 »
Has anyone got the BRe jib stick which Swallow offer as an extra? If so, does it work and have you got any pics of it in action?

I ask because my crew is complaining of the amount of leaning out, bum in air, involved in goose winging for downwind legs when we are racing. Not always right to set asymmetric but goose winging works well.
Wondering whether to buy a stick, for sail that is, not to prod the crew with...

mark1

Re: Bre Jib Stick
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2019, 22:05 »
I didn't know there was one available.
I made one out of stuff I found in the shed, it works great and I use it loads (I normally have no crew to abuse!)

Sea Simon

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2019, 08:07 »
As mark1, on both counts.

Not aware of Swallow accessory; would be interested to know more.

Made my first one from an old carbon fishing rod. Used light-weight Holt Allen plastic ends (very cheap - £5 ish?).
Rigged with a simple down-haul, the main purpose of which proved to be keeping the pole attached to the boat! Up-haul not necessary.

Heavily used last year, and found to be very effective on a standard jib downwind. Great to have all 3 sails drawing.
Also used occasionally with my MK 1 Assym, so as to try to sail deeper down wind. It worked for that too, but was not really up to the job, and on occasions bent rather alarmingly (but probably survived because of "bendiness" of the rod material?).

Consequently, intend to make a MK2 version over this winter, out of a proper carbon blank and piston type pole ends. Easier/quicker to rig, and more durable.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

johnguy

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2019, 09:45 »
Any photos? So I can profit from your genius when I make mine..

Ged

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2019, 11:03 »
I've got a wooden boat hook with a plastic end, it works great.
I've spliced a lanyard onto the end with a clip so I can attach it to the boat.
Last year I was using it to sail downwind and then came up to a reach with it still in position, stuck out to windward, so was sailing by the lee, I swear it had much more power that way... it felt like my boat was being sucked forward.  It was the last time I sailed the boat so I haven't had a chance to test the theory.
Ged
Storm 17 'Peewit'

Matthew P

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2019, 16:59 »
I use an inexpensive telescopic boat pole, such as this one, to push out Gladys's self tacking jib:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Aluminium-Telescopic-Boat-Hook-Extends-to-2-Metres-Sailing-Marine-Dinghy/1688796364?iid=151701597546&chn=ps

The point fits into the jib sheet knot and the base rests in the corner between the mast foot and the cockpit combing.  Tightening the jib sheet, after adjusting it for length, keeps it in place. I tie a lanyard around the pole just to stop it falling overboard.  Running goose-winged-down wind keeps the crew busy to prevent it getting backed.

Maybe this is too crude and heavy for earnest racers but it works OK for Gladys - and the boat hook is handy for other purposes too.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2019, 22:56 »
I use an inexpensive telescopic boat pole

+1
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Sea Simon

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2019, 13:40 »
Any photos? So I can profit from your genius when I make mine..

No genius involved, just a "financially constrained" Engineer...in a shed.

My Mk1 stick cost me <£10.
Issue was that the carbon ex-fishing rod (free) was only OD 19 x ID 16mm, 2m long. Therefore too thin/too "bendy"! Length is OK.
The end fittings took some modifying to get to fit the small tube, as they are really made for larger tubes. Faired/shimmed with Belzona 1212 epoxy putty.
I used my Dremel. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Dremel is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my Dremel is useless. Without my Dremel, I am useless.... :)

My Mk2 pole will cost appx £75. OD 25 x ID 22, 2m long carbon pole. End fittings £15 each. These fit a 22mm id tube without modification; fastening up is easy, and no shimming/re-working required.

All fittings from here (when I said plastic in my earlier post, I seems I actually meant "acetal resin" ;)
Seems strong enough, light weight and minimal corrosion potential v S/Steel.
https://www.allenbrothers.co.uk/range/?pid=cjlf6lozh001od1v4v8unr30m&cid=cjlf6kjph0005c3v4pbz2zc7m

I must say, that together with some "poly hemp" for the down-haul bridle, the overall effect is pleasing; imho, it looks the business with the BRe carbon spars. Certainly better than a boathook?
lighter, easier/safer to use, and less possibility of damage to boat or crew.

Will try phots, but boat laid up and secured for winter atm.
Hope this helps?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

johnguy

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2019, 11:55 »
Thanks all for help. I will play with poles and see how I get on. Cheers John

mark1

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2019, 14:07 »
John,
sorry no photo, boat is undercover and under-snow.

I used an old aluminium two piece kayak shaft.

I flattened one end, bent it round the end of a small carabiner, and bolted through to hold it in place.
That end clips onto the jib outhaul.
the other end is covered in bike inner tube to protect the boat with heavy knotted cord drilled through to jam under cleats or handrails and provide quick and simple adjustment.

I'm sure you'll come up with something much more sophisticated...

johnguy

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2019, 09:40 »
Thanks Mark. I'm a well known bludger so I will create something suitably messy.