Author Topic: Mylor Raid 2019  (Read 3802 times)

Rod Shiers

Mylor Raid 2019
« on: 15 Apr 2019, 19:17 »
Hi, Looking forward  to attending our first Raid at Mylor. A couple of questions for the Old Hands, please.
I'm traveling down from Derbyshire, proposing to leave on Sunday. I wanted to arrive at the narrow bit as fresh as possible so thought I'd stop off somewhere for the night about 1-2 hours out. Does anyone have any recommendations for overnight accommodation with easy access for the car and trailer?

Also is it possible (for an extra fee I appreciate), to park the boat at Mylor marina on the Monday?
Thanks
Rod Shiers
Gracenote BC23

Sea Simon

Re: Mylor Raid 2019 - Driving tips
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2019, 08:26 »
Sadly, I will be away at work (again/still!), and have not managed a Mylor meet so far...but as a local (Fowey), this may be of some help?

I'm sure Mylor Marina will accommodate you; we've left various boats/cars there over the years, but they will (of course - this is Cornwall after all!) charge. Phone and "book" if I was you.

The key to an easy drive to Mylor is to start by turning off at Exeter (at the end of the M5/start of the A38 to Plymouth) onto the A30 for Okehampton & Bodmin.

DO NOT go A38 via Plymouth (which many still think is the main road, as it was for many years).
Incidentally, heading down/West is free, but if you come back (heading up/East) via Plymouth, you will be hit with a hefty toll if towing.

We now have dual carriageway (and electricity even - though often no mobile phone signal!) right across the moor(s); the new roads were finished last year, past Bodmin, and now as far as the Truro turn off A39 (Trispen - Carland Cross, by the Toyota dealer). This is where you would peel off left for Truro & onwards to Falmouth/Mylor.
The A39 here is newish too, and easy motoring.
This only leaves 10/12 miles on old-style Cornish roads.
After going through Truro (v small city/county town) its only the last 5/6 miles that can be a little nerve wracking, on "traditional" narrow/steep/wet lanes!

When towing:
The first "brown sign" to Mylor YH at Perranarworthal (left, just past the Norway Inn (very prominent) is (imo) not the easiest route with a boat on the back. The hill is very narrow/steep/windy, and I've had past-problems (when I did not have a 4x4); don't stop going up a wet/leafy hill!
This being the main sign-posted route to Mylor YH, it's not uncommon to meet another boat coming the other way, just to make things even more exciting!
The next left turning (about 1/4 mile on?) is easier; less steep/windy but still narrow (pretty-much single track I recall?); it's not posted for Mylor YH.

Personally, I prefer to continue on the A39 towards Falmouth, via Penryn, on the old B 3292, then double-back towards Mylor YH.
Incidentally there is an excellent, and more reasonably priced chandlers (usually - but Mylor are getting better. If there is such a thing as a reasonable chandlers - it's relative! ) just past this turn - MacSalvors.

Hotels - depends on your style/budget, but there is are newish Premier Inns at Bodmin, 40 miles before Mylor, (next to Asda garage), and Fraddon too (a little closer to Mylor) - both just off the A30; parking/access there is easy.
There is another, much further "up"/East, at Exeter services (end of M5 - about 100 miles/2.5 hrs from Mylor?) which is also very easy/convenient.
There are of course many much nicer hotels about, but if I were towing these would suit me.
Beware, if you leave the main A30 roads can quite quickly become difficult for towing if you stray too far. I use the Google "fly-through" to pre-check, when possible.

Hope this helps?

PS - Don't forget your "Kernow" courtesy flag; St Piran's Cross ;)

...and remember that when we say "hedge" we mean earth/stone bank full of pointy rocks, often granite - so don't get too close when towing!

ADDED 12 MAY - On the subject of Food/stops en-route:
Forget Exeter Motorway services, use Lifton Farm Shop, Lifton, Devon, PL16 0DE
Open appx 0800 > 1700. Very popular with passing "locals", highly recommended
Easier access, plenty of parking, better food & better value than Motorway services at Exeter.

http://www.liftonfarmshop.co.uk/contact-us/location-map

(just East/up from Launceston - 40 mins West of Exeter/appx 1.30 hr away from Mylor

BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Rod Shiers

Re: Mylor Raid 2019
« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2019, 19:33 »
Thanks very much Simon, sorry you won't be joining us. Good tips all round - thanks again. Regards Rod

BobT

« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2019, 15:52 »
Hi Helen and/or Lara,

For those who haven't been before I thought it was worth confirming the annual question of making arrangements for trailer parking and boat mooring should we be arriving early or leaving late. I am assuming that as in previous years we are to all make our own additional arrangements with Mylor Yacht Harbour direct.

Kim, I & Escape will be looking to arrive and put in on Sun 23rd and recover, as per programme, Sat 29th which will give us a couple of unofficial days at the start of the event. Anyone else likely to be down then?

Cheers,
Bob
Bob
BRe "Escape"

charliea

« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2019, 15:44 »
If you do go down the M5 / A38 I can recommend Exeter racecourse for a quick overnight stop.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-sites/england/devon-and-cornwall/devon/exeter-racecourse-caravan-club-site/?utm_source=localsearch&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=gmb

We've stopped overnight a couple of times when we've wanted to leave on a Friday night, stop overnight and be in the water early Saturday. We're usually heading for Salcombe, Barnstable or Dartmouth.

The kids sleep in the cuddy and my wife and I pitch a little tent. Call in advance to book and they'll explain where they want you to park in case the office is shut when you arrive.

Forgot to mention - the Haldon Forest Diner is on the A38 exit and does a good breakfast, from memory it opens at 7 on Saturdays.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186254-d2163430-Reviews-Haldon_Forest_Diner-Exeter_Devon_England.html

BobT

« Reply #5 on: 04 Jun 2019, 15:09 »
Just spoken to Mylor Yacht Harbour about arriving a couple days early and they were very relaxed and just said to book in on arrival.  They did suggest I could send an email with details, which I did but they didn't seem too concerned about this.
See you there,
Bob & Kim
Bob
BRe "Escape"

Matthew P

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2019, 12:09 »
Many thanks to Helen, Lara and Matt for organising another memorable event.  In spite of peculiarly high winds we enjoyed good sailing on all days except Thursday when Lara organised an interesting day out at the Eden Project.  Good sailing, good food and good company.

Matthew
Crew on Craic
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Peter Taylor

« Reply #7 on: 05 Jul 2019, 13:50 »
My photographs of sailing on the Wednesday and rough weather in Mylor on the Friday are now on my Seatern web site http://seatern.uk/swallow-yachts-raid-2019/ . There's also some photos of the Eden Project on the Thursday. For those who weren't there, don't be fooled by the sunny skies... it really was blowing a gale!

The weather was a bit grey for photos on Wednesday morning but some of the close-ups in the Percuil River, and the sunny photos in the afternoon are not too bad!

My thanks to Helen, Lara and Matt for organising the event and managing to stage it despite the recent events back at Swallow Yachts!

Peter
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

johnguy

« Reply #8 on: 09 Jul 2019, 08:50 »
Thanks Peter, great pics. And a great event despite the weather, thanks Lara, Matt and Helen.