Author Topic: Launching  (Read 13674 times)

David

Launching
« on: 26 Oct 2007, 16:23 »
I have been thinking about launching the Bayraider and have noticed in one photo the water goes half way up the wheels.  Would this be a problem in seawater?

I have seen a Cornish Shrimper with a combi trailer both with towing gear.  The Shrimper is a heavy boat much heavier than the Bayraider, so would a launching trolley with trailer work for the Bayraider?

David

Jeff Curtis

Re: Launching
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2007, 14:44 »
Hi David
With a swinging cradle trailer you only need to put the tyres in the water, the wheel bearings stay dry. I try to hose off the wheels with fresh water after recovery as the paint finish on trailer wheels is not generally very good.

Jeff

Richard Scott

« Reply #2 on: 02 Nov 2007, 10:06 »
Just on the subject of launching...

One of the key factors for my going with a BR was how incredibly easy launch and recovery are. Matt has obviously put a lot of thought into it. In no particular hurry, he really does launch or recover in about 8 mins.

I figure with a little practice he could get it down into the range of an F1 pit stop. ;-)

Richard

Don Maurer

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2007, 06:29 »
When I launch my boat (not a Swallow boat) the wheels of the trailer are completely submerged. I sail in both fresh and salt water. I have a galvanized trailer and the wheel hubs are fitted with bearing buddies. I have had no problems with water getting to the bearings. I typically tow the boat about 50 miles 1 way, so a bearing problem would show up relatively fast. Typical maintenance is rinsing the trailer down after I get back home and checking to make sure there is grease in the bearing buddies once in a while.

Julian Swindell

« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2008, 15:24 »
With the Bayraider there is no great problem, even if you get the wheels wet as they are unbraked. If you have a heavier boat with braked trailer wheels, you really should try to keep them out of the water if you can and really hose them out thoughourly if they get salt water in the brakes. Everything rusts otherwise, even the springs.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/