Author Topic: First sail  (Read 17078 times)

Paul Cross

First sail
« on: 15 Feb 2008, 20:48 »
Hello all
Having recently acquired a Storm 15, I thought I would share the experience of our first sail today. Mid Feb is not my favorite time of year but we couldn't put of testing the boat till spring! Place: Carsington water Wind:12ish MPH with some much stronger gusts. Temperature: seriously cold.

We both (father and I) had very high expectations of the boat and were prepared to be a little disappointed. Not a bit of it! she was lively, easy to sail and far more stable than we were expecting for such a light craft. We managed to record 6.6mph on the GPS with three generations of Crosses on board. (two of them a bit larger than need be)

both granddad and grandson were impressed with the amount of unencumbered room forward. although one of them had to sit on the centreboard when going about to stop it popping up (downhaul mod needed any ideas?).

After lunch the wind picked up a little and my son went to sit in the club house to nurse his frost bitten fingers, Never would have happened without the self-tacking jib, the boy needs ropes to pull!

Overall, we are delighted and only need to tweek a few things before we set off for further (warmer) adventures.

We did not lace the main to the mast (only to the yard) as per photos on this site. Is this normal practice? the sail shape suggested that it would benefit  if we had done so.

also, being an unstayed mast, if we had dropped the jib and subsequently capsized, there would be nothing to hold the rig into the boat and should the mast drop out of the step then the resulting leverage would probably take the deck out when the boat was righted. Is this something I should be worried about? I can think of a number of ways to prevent it (pin, retaining clip under deck etc) but is it worth the bother? have any such incidents occurred?

Regards
Paul Cross

Tony

Re: First sail
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2008, 17:00 »
Hi, Paul.
Good to hear that another of the Swallow Boats tribe sails at Carsington! I'll be back on that particular stretch of water just as soon as I get Four Sisters home. (She's with Matt on the Teifi estuary visiting her folks at the moment.) You can't miss us. We are the boat hove to in the middle, dishing out chocolate, tea and sympathy to John, the safety boat man. (It gets mighty cold on that RIB!) Looking foreward to seeing a Storm 15 in action.
Cheers!   Tony

Paul Cross

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2008, 17:42 »
Hi Tony
We choose Carsington because it's a reasonable distance from us( 1:30 away in north Worcs) and my father (1:15 away in south Ches.) so we could meet for a daysail without a long journey for one of us. It worked out really well so I'm sure we'll be around there quite often.(might wait until it gets a lot warmer though)

I'd be interested to see your lugger when she gets back from wales. Are you a member there?

Paul

Tony

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2008, 13:43 »
Hello again. Paul.
Been a member for 2 years now. Pleasant place, friendly people and only 45mins from my home. Not totally given over to one design racing like some places and a thriving cruiser fleet, too.  Great place to try out new variations in rig - unless engine related, of course. Always people around to offer advice or a helping hand but room enough to spend all day on your own if you prefer. Not been there on a Bank Holiday yet, though. Annual membership fee well worth it to avoid competition for drive space with wifes car if nothing else!   

Water temp. at the moment below 10 degrees C so sailing before April needs wet or dry suit. (Club rule) Wind chill pretty much what you'd expect, too. See you there when the ice breakers have gone?

Matt Newland

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2008, 07:36 »
Dear Paul,
Nice to hear from you. The mainsail can easily be laced around the mast below the yard if you prefer, and it does make for a better sail shape in heavier winds. I tend to leave it out because I am lazy, and don't like extra string in the boat, but up to you.

I have not heard of any masts coming out of inverted boats with the jib down, but you are right - it is a potential issue. The best way I think of solving it is to cut a key shape into the mast hole in the kingplank. Then screw a corresponding piece of wood to the mast, so that the mast can only be put through the hole in the correct rotation. Once in place, rotate the mast 180 degrees and it should be locked in position. Hope this is clear - let me know if not and I can pen a drawing.
Best wishes,
Matt

Paul Cross

« Reply #5 on: 09 Mar 2008, 08:44 »
Matt

Thanks for that. We will cut a keyway into the king plank (just for peace of mind!).

On a different subject. We would quite like to come to the regatta/rally in June 08. How do we register? and will our little 15 be left behind by all those serious raid boat enthusiasts or will there be other, slower boats there?

Regards
Paul