Author Topic: Building Storm 15  (Read 18177 times)

Hugh Hobson

Building Storm 15
« on: 15 Nov 2006, 14:57 »
I really fancy building/owning a Storm 15. However as that's some time off yet I'm interested in the build process in order to assess that its with in my skiull level. I have previously helped a friend build a Wharren Tiki 21 so have some knowledge of the West Expoxy System, but that was a long time ago. If anyone has comments they wish to share please do.

Mike Henton

Re: Building Storm 15
« Reply #1 on: 06 Dec 2006, 22:51 »
I really fancy building/owning a Storm 15. However as that's some time off yet I'm interested in the build process in order to assess that its with in my skiull level. I have previously helped a friend build a Wharren Tiki 21 so have some knowledge of the West Expoxy System, but that was a long time ago. If anyone has comments they wish to share please do.
One of the trickiest aspects of building the Storm 15 that I have found is using the epoxy efficiently, so that's half the battle... The instructions are extremely clear and helpful; I am astonished at how I have managed on my own, taking things one at a time, step by step, to get as far as I have on this, my first attempt at any sort of boatbuilding. I'm sure I probably think about each stage more and take longer over it than others, but the results satisfy me and the process is really enjoyable. If one has patience, the space, and a plane with a sharp blade; if one allows oneself plenty of time, is not utterly decrepit or cack-handed I think it is a very realisable project. Although I have done quite a bit of woodwork I have no experience of boat-building at all and I did have similar qualms, but I am happy with my decision. I should go for it.