Author Topic: Trailer retrieve - am I worrying too much?  (Read 6819 times)

markbatey

Trailer retrieve - am I worrying too much?
« on: 31 Aug 2014, 19:45 »
Hauling the BR17 out of Derwent Reservoir today, following what I thought (from watching the videos) was normal technique, one of the local greybeards said, "Ooh, I wouldn't do that. Too much pressure on the hull. Back the trailer further into the water, much better idea".

I had water up to just below the hubs, fairly shallow slipway, and I thought she came up quite nicely, bit of effort on the winch, but no drama at all.

But now I'm wondering if he's right, or is the Bayraider designed to work that way? I think at the moment before the bows tip down and settle at the front of the trailer there probably is quite a lot of force on the rollers just about under the centreboard, which would be reduced if the trailer were deeper in the water.

What's the best way to retrieve off a slip?

This is just the first of a bunch of questions, probably....

Thanks

Mark

Julian Swindell

Re: Trailer retrieve - am I worrying too much?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2014, 21:48 »
What you are doing sounds perfectly normal and correct. Everyone at a slipway will claim to know better than you do. They don't. The whole purpose of the Swallow design is that you don't have to submerge the trailer. Others are just envious.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 02 Sep 2014, 10:14 »
Julian's absolutely right. A well designed modern trailer for boats like BayRaiders don't need to be submerged and you shouldn't worry about excess pressure on the boat, etc.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

markbatey

« Reply #3 on: 02 Sep 2014, 12:12 »
That's good to hear, I thought I was on the right lines but thought I'd better check with people who know, not listen too hard to the slipway "experts".

Matthew P

« Reply #4 on: 02 Sep 2014, 12:55 »
I totally agree with Jonathan and Julian, it is usually only necessary for the tires to barely touch the water.  See also this month's Watercraft P28 which describes a SB Expedition (BR20 with a lid) being launched by Swallow Boats with wheels kept dry.  In fact I would  avoid submerging the hubs - they will probably need new bearings if  they get wet, even well packed with waterproof grease.

You are very welcome Mark and we look forward to seeing you at Ullswater next year, if not before.  How about Sail Caledonia too?

Matthew
BR20 Gladys
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 02 Sep 2014, 18:01 »
In my household, we have two types of unsolicited advice:
3h (handy helpful hints) and
4i (irritating and ill-informed interference)

The Derwent greybeard was doling out the latter.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Tony

« Reply #6 on: 03 Sep 2014, 13:35 »
Hi, Mark.
I’ve seen Matt recover a BR20 with full ballast tanks with the tyres just touching the water. No problem at all, the boat is plenty strong enough to manage.
BR trailers are much better  than my old (2004) trailer built for “Four Sisters”. Launching is easy, keeping hubs dry  but its design means I have to go in over the hubs to recover the CBL. Her straight stem won’t ride up over the trailer’s rear crossbar on a shallow slipway.
Even so, if you launch anywhere with waves or powerboat wash don’t forget that salt water has the penetrating properties of WD40 and once a splash or two has got into the hubs their  days are numbered.  (Forget the concept of waterproof hubs – they just are not!)  The water evaporates leaving a strong brine solution, or in hot weather, crystalline salt, either of which will cause big problems.  While the boat is off the trailer, spin the wheels and check for rumble or lateral movement.
 Whatever the mileage, I'm in the habit of changing the bearings every 2 or three years on the grounds that it’s cheaper than the consequences of a collapsed bearing  on the Autostrada.
....and where bearings are concerned  I do NOT think I am “...worrying too much..”!

Brian Robertson

« Reply #7 on: 04 Sep 2014, 19:39 »
And remember that your trailer tyres will flatten when you retrieve so hubs that were clear of the water may sink in to the brine.  I learned this the hard way  :-[
BC20 #05 Amy Pearl

markbatey

« Reply #8 on: 05 Sep 2014, 10:38 »
Good tip about the bearings - I'm in fresh water at the moment, but hoping to get enough confidence and experience to try the sea eventually. Actually I have no idea what condition the bearings are in now, as I don't know what waters the boat has been used in until now. I think I'll take them off and have a look sometime soon.

I'll be at Ullswater next year, so see you there. And maybe Sail Caledonia as well, if things work out.

Tony

« Reply #9 on: 08 Sep 2014, 13:52 »
Good tip about the bearings ............ Actually I have no idea what condition the bearings are in now, ........... I think I'll take them off and have a look sometime soon.

Stick to wiggling the wheels. That'll tell you all you need to know!
Unless you are a much more competent and well kitted out mechanic than I am I'd leave fitting new bearings to the professionals!
You need a few tricks to get the old bearings out (a blowtorch to expand the hub, too.) and a serious hub puller to settle the new bearings in. If they are out of true your trailer won't go far.