Author Topic: Sail cleaning  (Read 3644 times)

markbatey

Sail cleaning
« on: 19 Oct 2014, 12:10 »
Hiya,

The jib on my BR17 has gone a bit green where it's been left in the open furled up, plus there are a few marks on it. I've given it a bit of a scrub with detergent and hosed it down, which has improved it but it's certainly not perfect.

I've been reading about using bleach or similar - but then apparently bleach destroys nylon. Does anyone have any advice about the best way to get them nice and clean? I have the cream sails from Dolphin.

Had a look at getting out yesterday, but with winds at 25mph plus the odd gust I didn't risk it... not adventurous enough? or sensible?

Cheers

Mark

Tony

Re: Sail cleaning
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2014, 12:35 »
Hi, Mark.
Sailing a small boat in a STEADY Force 6 is ok if you don't mind getting wet.
A gusty wind is a different matter. Just how "adventurous" or "sensible" it is depends on circumstances like:
a/ the sea state (breaking waves are only fun on a sailboard)
b/ the type of boat,
c/ your level of competence (not "confidence")
d/ ..and what sort of support you've got.

Being a fully paid up member of the Lily Livered Society  (Not heard of us? We have a badge that we wear with pride - a wide yellow stripe running down the back of our oilskins.) I no longer feel any peer pressure to sail when I don't feel like it and my simple rule of thumb - "If it looks bad from here it's probably a lot worse when you get out there!" - has served me well.

Other weather-related rules:-
" If you think you might need to reef, you should have done it 5 minutes ago!"
" I'm supposed to be doing this for fun,  damn it!"
and my favourite catch-all:-
" Any fool can be uncomfortable!"

Let the Gung-Ho types and their weak-minded acolytes go out in a gale and return, glowing with pride and a sense of achievement, bless 'em. If they need that stuff to boost their egos  and are putting no-one else but the RNLI at risk (and the mortgage and funeral expenses are taken care of), good luck to 'em! I did all that nonsense when I was in short trousers and grew out of it before I started shaving. (e.g. At the age of 9, hoping to impress Rosalie Tompkinson with my resemblance to Tarzan, I threw myself out of a tree. Her laughter hurt more than the twisted knee, or the clip round the ear I got at home. Not everyone has had my advantages, though, so I try to make allowances.)   

Dirty Sails?  (..finally getting to the point....)

I have used this stuff (See picture ) intended for canvas with no obvious ill effects but I did hose them down thoroughly afterwards.
Bathroom mould remover works - with the same precaution.
Rust marks have to stay - or use some pretty vicious chemicals.
Biggest mistake I made was to wash them on the drive. They picked up more dirt than I washed off! Had to rinse them again, this time on a large tarp spread underneath them.
The whole business was a pain in the posterior so I've never repeated the operation. I remove salt before packing them away, by hoisting them in the rain or spraying them with a hose. Then you have to dry them!

Andy Dingle

« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2014, 21:43 »
Mark.

I use some of that household foamy spray (very mild) bleach solution with oxy cleaner from the local supermarket, works as well as any proprietary sail cleaner and a lot cheaper. Though if you come up with anything that really works then I would be grateful to hear about it.

Sailing in the sorts of winds you describe is probably not the best idea of the day, Tony makes some valid points with which any prudent sailor will agree.
Having said that though, if you are properly prepared - yourself and the boat, with a good crew, reefed down and ballasted up then it is a good training/confidence building exercise, there will be occasions when you are out and the weather conditions deteriorate - then is not the time to get the frighteners! Besides, when your confidence increases and you are aware of the capabilities of your boat it's damn good fun! Build up to it.

Tony.

My BC23 will be going in at Grimsby and Cleethorpes Yacht Club in the spring - you are very welcome to come for a blat around Spurn Head and Bull Sand Fort next year, - they are very kindly rebuilding the lock gates too (obviously for my impending arrival) so can get out and back in on 'the level' for most of the tide. Or maybe nip down Trent Falls and pick you up!

Andy
BC23 No. 25 'Equinox'

david

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2014, 02:44 »
I agree with Tony and Andy on the advise given regarding  weather. I did experience  just what Andy said being about  three miles out on the ocean, when the weather  took a turn. I was not ballasted. I dropped the main and the boat (BayRaider  20), handled well on the homeward trip, under jib and mizzen. A little wild but fun and wet also. Not sure what the wind speed  was, but plenty  of white caps! Lesson learned; keep an eye on the horizon for fast moving storm fronts.
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

markbatey

« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2014, 18:08 »
Good advice all round by the sound of it on the cleaning - I tried some carpet cleaner spray which did ok, and made sure I hosed it down thoroughly as well.

On the windy question, I think I should probably have given it a go, but the club (I'm on a reservoir while I get some experience) had just put up the red flag for "experienced crews only", which isn't me by any stretch of the imagination.

Maybe next time?