Author Topic: Afloat boat cover  (Read 7358 times)

downsizer

Afloat boat cover
« on: 09 Nov 2014, 19:51 »
I've recently bought a second hand BR20 and she has come with a good tent and overall cover ( which fastens under the boat). I'm going to be keeping her afloat and wondered if anyone can advise on the design ( and or supply) of a cover suitable for when she's left afloat, masts up, sprayhood down. There are pegs under the lower rubbing strake between the masts which are used for the tent.
She's in Chichester harbour (Hayling)
Philip
Philip
BR20 Pickle

Andy Dingle

Re: Afloat boat cover
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2014, 16:47 »
Hello Philip and congratulations on getting a very good boat, you will have years of great sailing from her and welcome to the forum. You will have many questions about your boat and this is the place to ask - there is always someone who has had the same query and some one who has a solution. Just ask!

We hope to be see you and your boat at one of our 'events' - indeed if you felt so inclined to want to host something at Hayling I am sure you will get plenty of support! We have a very casual approach to sailing in company .. ie turn up, join in and sail which works very well for us!. But early days yet ...

Your cover. I too am in the same position, although I have a Baycruiser 23 (which I recently changed to from a BR20). I too am looking for a 'mooring' cover to cover the boat when she is on the water (and also to double us an a general cover when she is on the trailer, if I can get away with it).

I have been in contact with Swallow Boats who are unable to supply one for me until next summer so puts me in a bit of a fix.
I know a professional sail and cover guy (runs a successful boat cover and sail making business, www.sailregister.co.uk) who made me an excellent cover for my BR and subsequently went on to sell quite a few to other BR owners who have been very pleased with it.
I'm now thinking of asking him to design and build me one for the BC - I have the complication that I have solar panels that will need to work through it somehow. If you like I can ask him to think about one for the BR too - should be much the same but just a bit smaller. He has all the measurements for the BR already. After all, there are already many thousands of 'mast up' mooring covers out there, all pretty much the same design. I take it you will be leaving the boom on, supported from a topping lift to give a 'tent' effect for the cover? Will you be lowering the gaff spar to lay horizontal with the boom, or leaving it up?

Hope this helps you out a bit - let me know if you want me to ask about it for you? If so I'll send you my contact details.
I think he sells quite a lot of covers at the Hayling Island Sailing Club - prices are realistic too.

Hope this helps

Andy
Baycriser23 No.25 'Equinox'

David Hudson

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2014, 18:20 »
Is it not possible to take the lashing cord under the hull and clean
it after retrieval?
David H.
BRe No. 35
“Amy Eleanor” (and the dangerous brothers)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2014, 18:22 »
Hi Philip,

Welcome to the forum.

I've had a BR20 since 2010, having bought it from new with several yard-supplied options, including an open-ended mooring cover.  The attached photo shows it rigged while on a pontoon in Pwllheli.

It has webbing straps looped around both masts and kept under tension with webbing buckles.  The sides are held down by bungee cords threaded through brass eyelets along the edge of the cover and stretched at intervals over lacing buttons attached, like yours, to the underside of the wooden rubbing strakes.  There is a laced opening on each side to fit around the shrouds.

The webbing and bungees create a tent-like cover that allows rain to run straight down over the side.  I had the boat in Pwllheli for three months and despite significant rain, hardly any ever seemed to blow through the open ends.  Keeping the cover under tension is important to stop water pooling wherever the fabric sags.  You could get a cover that drapes over the boom but as you can probably see from the photo, it would need to be quite tall and would create quite a lot of windage.

The original plastic webbing fittings at each end weren't up to the job and had to be replaced with something stronger - see this thread http://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,945.0.html

See also this thread for more detail http://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,736.0.html
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

downsizer

« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2014, 15:53 »
Hi Graham,

Many thanks for this reply, it's very helpful and the photo and threads make it all very clear. Having a simple cover with open ends is a lot simpler than I was envisaging as it means not having to fit the cover round the mast.

Thanks again,

Philip
Philip
BR20 Pickle

downsizer

« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2014, 15:58 »
Hi David and Andy,
Many thanks for your input and best wishes,

David, the trailer cover is full length with masts down and the tapes are fitted with snap buckles which would be unreachable underwater.

Andy, The yard manager at Northney recommended sail register so I'll start with them. Good luck with the Baycruiser - lovely boat!

all the best

Philip
Philip
BR20 Pickle

Andy Dingle

« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2014, 16:57 »

That's great Philip - I'll be going over to see Dan at the sail register in the next couple of days, now I have a bit more time, to discuss my cover with him.. am keen to get one sorted before the winter weather really sets in, and I'll mention your requirements to him.
If you do give Dan a ring at the sail register - mention my name - well, maybe not - he might be rude to you!

If anyone has any experience, thoughts or technical knowledge if solar panels work (or not) through flexi perspex panels in a cover I would appreciate your input?

I did my trial sail of the BC23 at Northney - cracking place to sail, I thoroughly enjoyed it there... would be a perfect place for a 'gathering' ...

Let me know how you get on..?

Regards

Andy

downsizer

« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2014, 16:35 »
Hi Andy,
I'll call them next week and keep you up to date with progress. Are you going to keep the new boat at Northney?

all the best

Philip
Philip
BR20 Pickle

Colin Morley

« Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2014, 08:21 »
Hi Downsizer,

Once you get used to it you will love your BR20. If you want any help my 40 year old son, who is a very competent sailor sails out of Hayling island. He loves my BR and is very knowledgeable about it so I am sure he could advise you. If you are interested I will send you his contact details. Of course you also have Nick Peters at Northney.

Now back to covers. I have a BR20 that I have trailed around the country, kept it on a mooring, in a marina and on the trailer. When on the trailer the standard cover, which I think you have is very satisfactory. When on the water that cannot be used. I have made a boom up cover. It was difficult to get it to the right shape and size and as has been said it has a lot of windage.

I bought the Swallow boats open ended mooring cover about two years ago. It is an eye watering price but very well made, and when you get familiar with it it works well. You can see it in the picture just posted. You need some sort of hooks along the rubbing strake to tie it down to. It is a bit of a faff to get it tied down along the sides when you are in the boat, but no more than most. I recommend that you go for this....unless someone has a better idea!
Colin
BR James Caird

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2014, 20:12 »
It is an eye watering price but very well made

Back in 2010, it was £350 plus VAT.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

downsizer