Author Topic: UV - sock or strip?  (Read 3276 times)

markbatey

UV - sock or strip?
« on: 18 Dec 2014, 10:49 »
Hi,

Another beginner's question from me... this time about the furling jib on my BR17 which sits outside holding the mast up for most of the year. There's currently no UV protection, and although the northeast isn't renowned for it's sunshine I think I should do something about it.

First thoughts was to get a sock made that I can haul up with a halyard and will do the job. But my local sailmaker says most people have sacrificial strips on the sails.

Any thoughts?

M

Julian Swindell

Re: UV - sock or strip?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2014, 12:00 »
My jib has a sacrificial strip, which I didn't notice at first as it is the  same colour as the main body of the sail. After five years on a summer mooring the jib (and the strip to be honest) seem fine. A bit wrinkled but unperished. Hauling a sock up each time would be a nuisance because I think it would have to be an open strip which was velcroed around the furled jib. The only problem with the sacrificial strip is making sure that the sail is furled the right way round to keep the strip on the outside (I am speaking from experience here...)
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2014, 13:14 »
Mark

No UV strip on my jib so a sock the only option at present, had it made with a zip down one side so i pull it up with spin halyard and zip it closed as it goes up. It keeps the rain, dirt and flies out as well.
If the boat was kept on a mooring the UV strip would have its benefits in that standing on the foredeck feeding the sock, zipping and hauling it up would be a little precarious in a blow.

Peter Cockerton
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

markbatey

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2014, 12:15 »
Thanks for the thoughts, going to go for the strip - less to think about all round, and cheaper. Just a bit worried that it might make the sail a bit heavy - with the jib boom it's already not that responsive in light winds but I think that's a small price to pay for the convenience.

M