Author Topic: Bala 2015  (Read 29714 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Bala 2015
« Reply #45 on: 13 Sep 2015, 17:21 »
Another open invitation to come and sail on Lake Bala in a disorganised way on Thursday 24th. This is ahead of the potential meeting that weekend. Gladys and Turaco will be there (but probably not at the weekend), and maybe some others too.  At the town slipway (northernmost part of the lake) from 9.30 am onwards.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

garethrow

« Reply #46 on: 14 Sep 2015, 19:33 »
Sorry Graham - nice idea again, but I can't get away from work commitments. Likewise, a hectic time at work and home means I will be unable to make the W/e of the 26th/27th. Hope this doesn't muck up anyone else's plans.

Regards

Gareth
Gwennol Teifi S17

John & Isla Roberts

« Reply #47 on: 20 Sep 2015, 18:15 »
Just to confirm that the upcoming weekend sees a big event at Bala Sailing Club. Here is a direct quote from a recent email from the club.

"Next weekend, 26/27th September, is a HUGE event in our calendar. It is a joint North Wales On-Board (new junior sailors) event, AND National Welsh Zones Championships, for youth and juniors including many Toppers, Oppies, and a couple of others."

This means, regretfully, that Isla and I will not be able to sail that weekend as the club's foreshore will be far too crowded for us to gain access to the water. (We are club members). Hey ho - there's always next year. Good luck to all you Swallows who get onto the water from the south end. John Roberts.

Matthew P

« Reply #48 on: 20 Sep 2015, 22:14 »
Hello John and Isla.  By coincidence Turaco and Gladys cannot get to Bala next weekend so we are meeting up at the Bala town slipway on Thurs 24th Sept instead together maybe with a few other Swallow boats.  It would be great to see you there if you can make it too.  If so please bring your camera!

Regards

Matthew
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

jonno

« Reply #49 on: 21 Sep 2015, 19:42 »
I hope to be there on Thursday.

Looking forward to seeing you.

John

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #50 on: 21 Sep 2015, 20:03 »
I'm considering wimping out because of the forecast (wind, cold, rain).  I may try to sneak on to the lake on Saturday instead, when the forecast (so far) is much better
Graham

Matthew P

« Reply #51 on: 21 Sep 2015, 20:58 »
I'm considering wimping out because of the forecast (wind, cold, rain).  I may try to sneak on to the lake on Saturday instead, when the forecast (so far) is much better
May I suggest you keep looking at different weather forecast providers until you find a forecast that you like the look of?

At present the BBC are offering for Thurs/Bala 10-15mph Westerlies, 10C-12C and no rain until 4pm which is OK for me so I'll stop looking now.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #52 on: 21 Sep 2015, 21:05 »
How about this new look BBC version?
Graham

Peter Taylor

« Reply #53 on: 22 Sep 2015, 07:53 »
How about this new look BBC version?
I keep puzzling over this map... as a  meteorologist (sort of)  I can't fault the forecast; but has the Republic of Ireland become part of the UK?  Seems like we are in danger of becoming political again!
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #54 on: 22 Sep 2015, 08:13 »
Weather systems laugh at our imaginary political boundaries.  Particularly in this part of Shropshire, where the weather is emphatically Welsh.
Graham

jonno

« Reply #55 on: 22 Sep 2015, 11:34 »
I'm now considering sailing at Bala on the Saturday as well as Thursday. I don't know the place. Is there anywhere there, afloat or ashore, that I can leave Ella, reasonably securely?

Thanks

John

Matthew P

« Reply #56 on: 22 Sep 2015, 14:10 »
I'm now considering sailing at Bala on the Saturday as well as Thursday. I don't know the place. Is there anywhere there, afloat or ashore, that I can leave Ella, reasonably securely?

Thanks

John

BBC Thursday weather forecast is sunny intervals, 12C, 12-15mph Westerly. 

I recommend Pant yr Onnen Campsite
Gwersyll Pant Yr Onnen
Llangower,
Bala,
Gwynedd,
LL23 7BT
01743 718283

Pant yr Onnen is where the ridiculously fast catermarans are based, halfway down the SE shore line.

The campsite is very boat friendly and will allow you to leave your boat there (for a fee) even if you don't camp.

Launching from the shore is do-able but the shore is gravelly and my Volvo sometimes spins it wheels.  Always managed to get in and out though in the end.

The approach road to the campsite is narrow and has one difficult but not impossible bend over a narrow bridge.  A camper van plus boat trailer may need particular care.

It's a great campsite and worth the effort.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

jonno

« Reply #57 on: 22 Sep 2015, 19:22 »
Many thanks for all that information, Matthew. I'm now booked into Pant yr Onnen.

All being well, I'll see you on Thursday morning on the water.

Oh, there's an even better forecast on xcweather.

John

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #58 on: 23 Sep 2015, 08:25 »
I'll be there Saturday.  There's not much wind forecast so I may bring some extra sails.
Graham

Matthew P

« Reply #59 on: 23 Sep 2015, 11:52 »
I will be going to Bala tomorrow (Thurs), arriving Bala town slipway about 10.30am. 

The current BBC weather forecast for Bala tomorrow is: "After a cloudy start in places many will see a dry day with prolonged sunny spells. However a few showers are likely to develop through the course of the day" and 13mph westerlies.

Unfortunately I cannot attend Saturday but Graham will be there - see below.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys