Author Topic: Do you love your BayCruiser 23?  (Read 6078 times)

Etsi-ketsi

Do you love your BayCruiser 23?
« on: 05 Dec 2014, 18:26 »
Etsi-ketsi would like to buy a BayCruiser 23 - but it seems none of the more than 20 owners is selling a boat this winter, as we have had no response to our post.

Owners, please tell us why you love your BayCruiser so much!

David Hudson

Re: Do you love your BayCruiser 23?
« Reply #1 on: 06 Dec 2014, 16:59 »
I was very tempted by Black Swan, a "23". It would be worth talking to Nick Peters who is looking after the boat on Hayling Island.

Nick Peters
Swallow Boats (south coast sales)

02392 461775 or
07778 749569 (mobile)
David H.
BRe No. 35
“Amy Eleanor” (and the dangerous brothers)

Andy Dingle

« Reply #2 on: 07 Dec 2014, 15:08 »

I understand Black Swan has now been sold David.

Etsi. As a Baycruiser23 owner of only some two months now maybe I am not qualified to answer your question, only time will tell after I have done more extensive sailing over the coming year.
But the reason why I bought 'Equinox' in the first place was due to my increasingly desperate search to find a boat that met all my requirements. Having owned a Bayraider20 for 6 years I was already impressed with the Swallow Boat design and its ability to offer flexibility to my sailing.

I've had big 'cruisers' for many years and had fallen foul of the old problems of not sailing them due to work commitments, lack of crew, tide and weather restrictions. It was also getting seriously expensive being marina/yard based - you will have heard it all before I know.
The result being I was sailing my Bayraider more and more and the 'cruiser' less and less - and I was really enjoying the sailing. Travelling all round the country and meeting some great people was a great bonus too.
Something had to be done, so the cruiser was put up for sale and Karen had a kidney going spare so I sold that too.
The hardest part was choosing the right boat to find, and believe me, I went through everything that floats with a fairly fine tooth comb - all who know me will testify as to how boring I had become - even worse than usual.

All were discounted for various reasons. My criteria was that she had to be trailable to get to new cruising grounds (not necessarily a true trailer sailor boat). Not reliant on yards/marina's. Able to step the mast and rig on my own if necessary. Be a safe and fast boat to sail single handed (if necessary), not a floating caravan with a rag on a stick to blow it about. Launch and recover single handed. Outboard engine - (65 of your English Pounds (plus vat) an hour for a 'marine' mechanic put me off diesels for life!)

My final decision was for the BC23 - and not just because I was already familiar with Swallow Boats as I had studied the 'competition' very closely.
So far I am very pleased, she sails extremely well and quite fast and is meeting my criteria.
I have an 'aero luff' carbon fibre genoa luff spar which is proving to be quite excellent and the fully battened main makes her no slouch out on the water. I've yet to sail her in heavy winds - to my frustration the wind has always been light when I have gone out, but maybe that is a good thing. The tanks have only been filled once just to check that the emptying pumps do work, but I'm sure she will perform equally well in all winds.
Single line reefing is a doddle, amazingly fast and still keeping a good sail shape, and I am practising 'reefing' the genoa around the luff spar. I can not see any problems with reefing, even when single handing, and can all be done without leaving the tiller if I fit an extension.. I reckon I can do most sail handling like that, with the tiller stuck ingloriously betwen my legs. Some further research required there!
She has proven (in lightish winds) to be very light on the helm with just a hint of weatherhelm. The traveler and quite powerful kicker is also proving to be very useful in maintaining a good sail shape, giving loads to think about and practise when out on the water.
Once I get familiar with my current rig I want to add a code zero too (furlable) for lighter winds - but that will be in the future. I'm not sure if my jib (genoa?) is larger than the previous jibs/gennies on the 23's but it does perform extremely well. (See attached photo).

Inside she is not palatial by any stretch of the imagination, but adequate and I want to make it a warm and inviting area. I designed and had made up my own cushions, thicker than the standard for more comfort. The 'galley' is just a single burner cartridge gas ring with a sink - water is in a flexi tank forward (fillable from the deck), heating is a small (camping) gas cartridge heater and hot water bottle. CO alarm has now been fitted. Fusion marine radio with ipod connector. Chart plotter/fishfinder(C map), all integrated with AIS DSC VHF (as I sail in a high density commercial shipping area). Panasonic toughbook (ex military) with 3g and wifi for computer stuff, also set up with gps and fully charted (OpenCPN) for planning and back up. Yeoman paper based charts too. Two 50aph batteries charged by two 20w solar panels. Mains power is just a 'camping' lead with RCD and a couple of 13a sockets for when there is electric hookup available.

Early days yet, but I am already developing a (some might say) unhealthy relationship with my Baycruiser 23 and that is why I love her!

Andy
Baycruiser 23 No.25 'Equinox'

Ps Karen's operation scars are healing quite nicely now..!

Etsi-ketsi

« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2014, 09:45 »
Andy, thank you for lots of helpful information. I hope the honeymoon lasts!

Etsi-ketsi

Andy Dingle

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2014, 20:00 »

Etsi.. I don't know where you are based but I do try and get out every week, even through the winter so you would be very welcome to come for a sail and try a BC23 for yourself.
'Equinox' is based at Rutland Water for the winter for familiarisation (being new to me) if you think you can make that venue then give me a shout.

My willing crew Peter C and myself got out this week for some stronger wind training (gusts up to fives) so had full tanks for the first time and practiced reefing.. shaking it out .. reefing again ...
Picture attached ..  After I had asked the guy in the RHIB to take the pictures I completely messed up putting the reef in, mainsail around my ears when I let the halyard go, boom in the cockpit when I let the lazy jacks off unintentionally. (Matt. I told you I needed a topping lift! - A job to be done next time the mast is down).
A complete pigs ear in front of an audience as always. But the picture looked ok! And of course the wind eased off as soon as I had sorted the mess out..!!

Wish you well in finding one. I am very pleased with mine.

Andy
Baycruiser 23 No.25 'Equinox'

Julian Swindell

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2014, 10:33 »
Andy, I would really recommend fitting a topping lift. I managed for a couple of years just using the lazy jacks to hold the boom up, but when I fitted a topping lift it made the whole thing a breeze. Especially when you are raising the main sail, you want to slacken the lazy jacks off, and you can't do that if they are holding the boom up. I also use it when I am motoring, as I like to stand up then to look ahead. The topping lift lets me raise the boom right up so it clears my head (and I'm 6ft 3in) Looks a bit odd, but great for visibility when you need it.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Andy Dingle

« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2014, 13:59 »

You are absolutely right Julian.

A topping lift was in fact ordered with the boat but got 'overlooked' in the rush to prepare her for the Southampton Boat Show. It seems Matt's practice is to use the lazy jacks as an improvised topping lift but I expressed concern that the eyelets in the sail bag (that take all the weight) are not designed for, nor up to the job to hold this much weight.
I too then forgot to fit one as I was putting the mast up - it was my first time and I was still puzzling out the game of which rope goes where.
It's top of my list of jobs to be done, especially after last week's debacle. I had found that dropping the sides of the sail bag facilitate keeping the single line reefing lines free, and you can easily see what is going on as you pull the reefs into place - but when I did this the boom promptly collapsed into the cockpit! Doh!
Incidentally, a tip from Matt was to use the main halyard as a 'topping lift' to take the weight off the sail bag eyelets when the main is down and tucked away in its bag. Of course, if you had a proper topping lift that wouldn't be necessary.
The cheek blocks and clutches for the topping lift are all fitted - it's just the rope and a block 'up top' that needs fitting. I would argue that a topping lift should be supplied as a matter of course and not considered an 'extra'.

We live and learn.. If any reader has a boat 'in build' at the moment, I recommend that you splash out a tiny bit more of your hard earned to make sure you have a topping lift fitted, whatever boat you have on order.

Regards

Andy
Baycruiser23 No. 25 'Equinox'

Julian Swindell

« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 2014, 18:18 »
You do really need that topping lift. If you are putting a reef in under way, you need to support the boom with the topping lift, so that you can release the lazy jacks a bit so that the sail can drop easily. If the lazy jacks are tight and the stack pack bag pulled right up, the sail doesn't want to drop. By mid-season and after lots of practice, I can put a reef in under way single handed in under a minute. I couldn't do anything like that without a topping lift.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Etsi-ketsi

« Reply #8 on: 15 Dec 2014, 19:59 »
Andy

That's kind, yes, we'd love to see Equinox and come for a short sail. We live south of London but could easily make a day trip. Perhaps we can keep a look-out for some mild weather from January onwards?

Etsi-ketsi (Ben and Julia)  bjmandmjm@aol.com

Andy Dingle

« Reply #9 on: 15 Dec 2014, 21:20 »
Ben and Julia.

You are very welcome. I'll email you separately so we have contact and can arrange something.
Yes you could fairly easily do this in a day - about an hour and a half or so directly up the A1 from 'the smoke'

Andy
Baycruiser23 No.25 'Equinox'

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #10 on: 16 Dec 2014, 14:27 »
Hi Ben And Julia,

Yes, yes, yes, is the answer to your question. I've had Vagabond now for three years - we've done over 2000 miles together round Britain (there should be a link to my blog about it all somewhere on this site). When I say together, I mean me and the boat as most of it has been dome singlehanded.
She's quick in light airs, safe and dry in anything up to F6 (although I only found that out by accident). I find the helm is a trifle heavy (weather helm) in strong winds although it can be partially  trimmed out by adjusting the mast rake. Several of the niggles that I had about the boat have been "designed out" now as Matt at Swallow is very good at listening to feedback from his customers.

I had single line reefing, lazy jacks, a couple of solar panels, a combined gas hob & sink and provision for a gas locker fitted from the outset. Since then I've had SB add a topping lift, centre cleats and send the spreaders for the mast. I fitted the spreaders and connected the butane gas system. Spacious she's not - but comfortable for one over three to four weaks and fine for two for a week.
Vagabond is currently out of the water in a barn in Buckinghamshire - you're more than welcome to come and have a look at her on your way up to (or back from) Andy - or if you want to have a break from the seasonal celebrations. Just drop me a line through this thread.
Rob J
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Etsi-ketsi

« Reply #11 on: 23 Dec 2014, 09:37 »
Rob

Yes, we'd love to call in and look at Vagabond please.  Will be in touch.

Ben (bjmandmjm@aol.com)