Author Topic: Navigation lights  (Read 15449 times)

maxr

Re: Navigation lights
« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2015, 18:16 »
Those LEDs look useful, Graham. How do you fix the lamps on - cable ties round the handrails and mizzen mast, or something similar?

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #16 on: 14 May 2015, 19:46 »
Each lamp has a bracket that it clips into so that the correct angle of light can be shown.  They suggest attaching them with cable ties but I'm going to screw them to a piece of wood that can be pegged in position on top of my bowsprit.  They'll be handy for taverna shuttle trips along the coast in Greece.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Peter Taylor

« Reply #17 on: 16 May 2015, 09:53 »
In the UK, CAA regulations say that en-route obstructions more than 150m above ground level have to have an aircraft warning light on top. As M5 is just over half that height, I suspect her of boasting.

It's quite a big mast all the same! Back in 2003 they used the Oceanography Centre dock to rig her - all done at dawn to avoid wind.  Here's a photo, note size of people in high viz jackets.  Glad I don't need all that gear for raising Seatern's mast!

Peter

p.s. we shouldn't be giving Matt ideas for a BC260 !
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

maxr

« Reply #18 on: 16 May 2015, 19:00 »
Wow - Google says its 282ft. I just found a thread about this on YBW, and it says there that it's an FAA regulation for any stucture over 200 ft high to have aircraft warning lights. This will be useful for the next time I wonder 'is that a small boat close to or a big one further away?' ☺