Author Topic: Head fitting for laced mainsails?  (Read 3294 times)

Anthony Huggett

Head fitting for laced mainsails?
« on: 02 May 2015, 22:51 »
Does anyone have tips on lashing the head of the laced mainsail on a gunter rigged boat?

Mine's a BR17 but I guess the Storms also lace their mains to the gunter. (I think later buyers of the BR17 got a tube version of the main which eliminates the problem.) 

I guess the ideal solution
a) Holds the main securely - I'm a bit nervous of relying on very thin 4mm string!
b) Holds the head as close as possible (or slightly beyond) the end of the spar - the clew and hence the boom is quite low.
c) Is quick to rig/de-rig for day trailer sailing - ideally without fiddly knots or having to de-reeve the lacing from the eyelets- sliding in is OK.

Anthony

steve jones

Re: Head fitting for laced mainsails?
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2015, 14:18 »
I used a marling hitch for the lacing, with both the S17 and BR17. I left the gunter permanently rigged during away trips.

If it comes through, you can just about make out the arrangement, with a harbour furl going into Helford.

When sailing in the sea I use a cut down main . the blue line is my reefing line attached to the second reef point on the gunter. with all the guff  I am VERY slow compared to you jet ski simulators.

Steve, Nona Me  BR17

steve jones

Re: Head fitting for laced mainsails?
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2015, 14:34 »
Anthony, on the too low boom issue-  I increased the height of my mast by 100mm, and stood it on a thicker pad so I could accommodate  a fiddle block , I also did away with the club boom to give more control over the jib. When the full main is deployed the sprit boom is even higher , I can't quite remember but I may have altered the geometry of the 'goose neck' on the mast.

Steve