Author Topic: BRe mast strengthening  (Read 10550 times)

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
BRe mast strengthening
« on: 04 May 2015, 17:22 »
Late last year SwallowBoats issued a modification for the BRe to strengthen the mast behind the gooseneck. Has anyone fitted this yet?!

I've started today and have removed the gooseneck (after nervously drilling out the rivets) and am ready to glue on the strengthening plate. But I noticed that the gooseneck sits about 3mm proud of the plate. This is caused because the plate has a larger diameter curve than the mast. I could try to bend the plate or rely on the screws to pull it in to the strengthening plate, but I'm not 100% happy with that and have stopped at a point where I can still re-attach the gooseneck in the original state.

Has anyone else done this modification and come across this issue?
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

David Hudson

Re: BRe mast strengthening
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2015, 17:33 »
Hello Jonathan

I have just fitted a stainless spinnaker halyard block strap to my carbon mast.

The Swallow supplied fitting was similarly larger than the mast circumferance. I gently squeezed the strap until I had a good fit.

May I suggest you do the same?

Regards
David
David H.
BRe No. 35
“Amy Eleanor” (and the dangerous brothers)

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2015, 17:41 »
David,

Thanks. I think that is probably the solution but I was reticent because it will take more than gentle squeezing to make it fit. The force is enough to make me think twice in case I either render the gooseneck unusable or, worse, damage the mast! Have you had to fit this or did your boat come with the plate fitted?

Jonathan
Jonathan

David Hudson

« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2015, 17:59 »
Not something I have noticed but I will check it out when I go down to the marina tomorrow am.

David
David H.
BRe No. 35

PeterDT

« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2015, 21:00 »
Jonathan, last weekend i fitted the modification. With the same hesitation and results. I hoped that the rivets would bend the steel as i was working from inside out. But i too have a few mm's space.
I think and hope that it does not make much difference in the forces on the mast.
The repair is done, and there is no way back for me. Will watch it closely gor cracks.
By the way, i have filled the holes in the rivets (all of them) as i like a waterthight mast. As much as possible anyway.

Peter

Mark Rushton

« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2015, 23:13 »
I fitted the reinforcement pad to my BRe 001 last September. I remember that I had use several large jubilee clips to coerce the pad to the same diameter as the mast. I also remember that it was tricky aligning the pre-drilled (by me) gooseneck mounting holes in the pad with the old holes in the mast whilst gluing and clamping with the jubilee clip; I suggest using a slow curing epoxy to give yourself plenty of time.

Mark Rushton

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2015, 16:19 »
Peter, Mark,

Thank you for that feedback and it is reassuring to hear that others have had the same experience as me. I will have another look at this one evening this week.

Out of interest, it sounds like you have used rivets (Peter) and re-used the old holes (Mark) - is that right? I assume the kit instructions (to use screws 0.5cm to 1cm below the original holes) are for simplicity but I did wonder about riveting the gooseneck back on and re-use the old holes (although there is an obvious challenge aligning the old and new holes).

Jonathan

PeterDT

Re: BRe mast strengthening Re. rivets
« Reply #7 on: 05 May 2015, 20:52 »
I hope my English is correct (i am a cloggy) when i use the word rivet (from the dictionary). They came with the repair set and are the same as used to attach the gooseneck to the mast as-built. See attachment (original situation).
I am considering filling the void with construction kit or epoxy to spread the load on the gooseneck-mast connection.

Probably the ultimate test will take place this or the next weekend when i hope to sail my BRe Anna. Today we had 8 Bft with gusts,  inland.
Hopefully we will return with two masts intact......

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2015, 23:18 »
Peter,

Yes, that's what I mean by a rivet too! My repair kit came with screws rather than rivets but I am wondering whether to buy some stainless rivets and use those. When you re-attached the gooseneck having glued on the strengthening plate, did you use the original rivet holes in the mast or drill new ones lower down?
Jonathan

PeterDT

« Reply #9 on: 06 May 2015, 11:17 »
Jonathan, i drilled new holes 1 cm below the old ones. I drilled nrs 2 to 4 through the holes in the gooseneck with a 4.8 mm drill.
Tje lower position of the boom will help a bit with the issue of the main sail being slightly too long on the luff edge.

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 06 May 2015, 12:23 »
Peter,

Thanks. It's good to hear what you've done and it gives me confidence that I'm on the right track before I start drilling my mast.
Jonathan

Mark Rushton

« Reply #11 on: 06 May 2015, 22:59 »
Hi,

I think I may have been the first to try this so I was only sent the reinforcement plate and had a chat with Matt at the Southampton boat show.

I used special pop rivets for carbon fibre, which are available at huge expense in chandlers, in the existing holes. Aligning the new holes in the plate with the old in the mast was hard so I think drilling new holes below the old ones sounds like a good idea; I still think I'd use rivets though.

My mast was showing signs of damage before the modification, which is why I'd asked Nick and Matt about it at the boat show, we've sailed several times since and mast is doing well.

Mark Rushton

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 07 May 2015, 16:45 »
Thanks Mark. Worrying that your mast was showing signs of damage beforehand. Fortunately mine is fine after 3 seasons but I'll still fit this mod.
Jonathan

David Hudson

« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2015, 14:08 »
Examining at my mast, It appears there is additional circumference at gooseneck height.

I presume that this is the additional strengthening on newer masts.
David H.
BRe No. 35

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 18 May 2015, 12:11 »
David,

I'm sure that's the case. The modification required a plate to be installed behind the gooseneck and I assume on any new mast there will be some sort of plate or additional thickness, etc, added.
Jonathan