Author Topic: BRe mast strengthening  (Read 10547 times)

BobT

Re: BRe mast strengthening
« Reply #15 on: 31 May 2015, 17:51 »
When I bought "Escape" from the original owner the mod kit was not fitted and the provided "glue" had gone off. SB advised the product was Sika 295 and on looking it costs over £20 for a standard tube of 300ml of which I will need only a fraction. Any ideas as to alternatives or if I can get the product in a smaller capacity.

Mark can you give some more detail on these special pop rivets as I like that idea better than the screws provided and was going to use standard rivets!
Bob
BRe "Escape"

David Hudson

« Reply #16 on: 31 May 2015, 21:24 »
I use this size...
Sikaflex 291i 100ml. White £13.57
    see https://www.jimmygreen.co.uk/image.php?w=800&h=600&file=graphics/products/ydur2j.jpg
David H.
BRe No. 35
“Amy Eleanor” (and the dangerous brothers)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #17 on: 31 May 2015, 22:59 »
I'm not sure why 295 rather than 291i was specified.  295 is more UV resistant but I shouldn't have thought that was relevant.

Anyway, even the smallest tubes of one-time use Sikaflex have seemed wasteful.  I now store opened tubes in the coldest part of the deep freeze (in sealed bags with clingfilm screwed between the hole and the cap - it's toxic) and this keeps it going for long enough to use it four or five separate times with weeks in between.  It might need a bit of digging out each time but otherwise it seems to work as normal.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: 31 May 2015, 23:12 »
By the time I came to do this job my glue had also partially cured, so I checked with SB as to whether I could use a tube of Sikaflex 291i I already had in the garage. They confirmed that this would be suitable. In the end I found that there was just enough un-cured glue in the middle of SB's bag and I cut if open to extract that (and miraculously didn't get in too much of a mess!). But 291i is fine and I bought a small tube of that for other jobs for about £7 off eBay.

I found with the 295 that it was fairly thick, more so than the 291i, and didn't squeeze out when the plate was clamped to the mast so be careful not to use too much. I also found that the plate didn't have quite the same diameter as the mast so good clamps are required to bend it to the mast's shape until the glue has set. Narrow ratchet straps worked for me.

Finally, SB sent me a drill bit to use with their screws but I found it too small. The strengthening plate is very hard and the 3mm (I think, from memory) bit made too small a pilot hole. In the end I had to use a 4mm bit to avoid having to use so much force as to damage the screw heads. The modification has now had a few day's testing in conditions up to beating in a F6 and it has survived well!
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"