Author Topic: Sail names  (Read 4821 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Sail names
« on: 21 Sep 2015, 14:32 »
If, like me, you are entering your dotage, with more time than sense and a burning desire to be useful, you may find yourself posting helpful diagrams on forums such as this.

I can never remember all the names of the sails on tall ships, or even where I am,  so have produced the attached as an aide-memoire in the humble expectation that some of you may find it commodious (or does that mean something else?).

WARNING: if you are of sensitive disposition, you should under no circumstances open the attachment.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Matthew P

Re: Sail names
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2015, 18:40 »
I notice the Gladys sail is disturbingly positioned between a codpiece and dry rot. May I suggest Gladys refers to a cunningly twisted mast and that the diagram is missing a Turaco-Terror stay sail.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Michael Rogers

« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2015, 19:31 »
Graham, what on earth are you imbibing/sniffing/something worse??
You'd better try to discourage Andy from perusing your dys-educational diagram:you've mentioned Corbyn, and it seems he's allergic. Take it easy on the poor bloke. You'll get ticked off if you're not careful.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2015, 19:52 »
I had a big number birthday yesterday and the trifle contained too much Cyprus sherry.  Also, I received this Joe Heenan birthday card (below) from a son and it inspired me.

WARNING: if you were too sensitive for the sail names, you REALLY won't like this attachment, which contains very rude words, some of which can be heard in Glasgow.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2015, 20:39 »
Bingo! Do I get a prize for prolificity and lining up all the topics (below), even if only marginally relevant?  Or do I just get my iPad confiscated?
Graham

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2015, 10:12 »
I like it! Forum posts need a "Like" button, a la Facebook (which to some no doubt adds even more profanity to Graham's...)
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Michael Rogers

« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2015, 23:54 »
You don't get a prize, Graham, and you only get 3 out of 10 for your English homework. The word is prolificacy (not prolificity), as any fule kno (I didn't know, actually, but I was suspicious so I looked it up). And we'd better not deprive you of your iPad because I'm sure it has an app which would have sorted that little problem out for you, had you consulted it. Dear me, what are educational standards coming to.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2015, 07:46 »
Prolific has three noun forms: yours, mine (the most similar to the French) and the ugly word prolificness. No wonder the OED is so large.
Graham

Steve Joyce

« Reply #8 on: 08 Oct 2015, 21:58 »
maybe reading Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Mataurin novels would give you some clues and keep you out of trouble too as there are 21 of them.
Storm 15 "Robin"

Tony

« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2015, 11:46 »

....and when you've read those try his biographies of Joseph Banks (excellent) and Pablo Picasso (which I haven't read yet).
....or, on a wet Wednesday night, watch "Master and Commander" with Russell Crowe . (or someone else if he's busy)

It mangles the books but it's worth a look for the sound track alone.

https://youtu.be/7p94DFyBBwc

David Hudson

« Reply #10 on: 12 Oct 2015, 14:04 »
I do like the sound of a spanker and can even remember bloopa's (spelling?) from thr '70's.
David H.
BRe No. 35
“Amy Eleanor” (and the dangerous brothers)