Author Topic: Portsmouth Yardstick  (Read 12528 times)

johnguy

Re: Portsmouth Yardstick
« Reply #15 on: 22 Dec 2019, 10:16 »
The race officer here in Cardiff has said that if I pump the ballast out there is no change to handicap provided I drink it.

In practice we usually race now with it out if winds 12 kn or so or less and put it in if big gusts forecast, and the results seem to show us performing much the same vis a vis our competitors throughout the season. Handicap stays the same, but we do get teased if we sail well with it out.

Llafurio

« Reply #16 on: 22 Dec 2019, 17:10 »
Thank you Peter. Substantial and informative. "Banditry" is indeed what we wish to avoid so we put our BR20 down with a low handicap of 1050, to be on the inoffensive side.
I personally had originally estimated 1100, after racing against some class dinghies with a proven rating in that region.
Your information about the BRe rating is indeed helpful, but again I would like to know how BR20s are
rated, preferably the BR20s with the original Gunter rig. C.

Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan

Peter T

« Reply #17 on: 22 Dec 2019, 23:25 »
If Matt has not applied for a Byron handicap for the BR20 then you can do it yourself by filling in the form on the Byron website and emailing it off with a donation.  Obviously you need to get all the data spot-on because I have a feeling it might be difficult to arrange a correction/amendment.

One thought has just occurred to me.  I am wondering if Matt's original Byron Handicap for the BRE might have been for the "club boom" version.  That could explain the apparent leniency of the 1112 figure.  I will have a look at the figures tomorrow.

My "special handicap" was for the Nick Peters bigger Genoa not just the standard non club-boom jib.

The Cardiff handicap system is interesting John.  I am wondering now if it might be worth filling the ballast tank with beer and seeing if the crew would then empty it quicker using a large diameter straw , rather than just allowing it to drain away infuriatingly slowly!  Not a vile disposable plastic straw, obviously!

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #18 on: 29 Dec 2019, 19:10 »
With a suitable pump you could then do a "ship to ship" replenishment and bribe your way to the front!
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

johnguy

« Reply #19 on: 30 Dec 2019, 09:41 »
This is good thinking. I'll be racing on New Year's Day when it is the club all comers race, likely very light airs. I'll try the beer transfer idea and see how it goes.

Peter T

« Reply #20 on: 31 Dec 2019, 23:18 »
Good luck, let me know how you get on. 

johnguy

« Reply #21 on: 03 Jan 2020, 09:24 »
That didn't work. Racing a BRe against boats that normally do well in the Fastnet is a bit tricky. On a short course one boat lapped us twice...but the beer came in handy afterwards.