Author Topic: Surfing!  (Read 3974 times)

david

Surfing!
« on: 10 Nov 2015, 05:44 »
Out for a gentle sail in what the weather man said would be 8-10 knot winds. The promised wind did not fill in! So we just ambled around at 2 knots! Still nice to be back on the water, with sun also.
Good fun coming back into the harbor!! The swells were around 6-8'. They were from the hurricane down in Mexico. It is the first time I have "surfed" down waves. Made all the more exciting because of the rock walls of the breakwaters.. So, no real escape route. Just had to hold on. It was a rare blend of adrenaline, excitement and just raw fear! One of those experiences that one will not forget.
You sail, you learn! Always adding to the experience column.... Great fun in retrospect. I think the margin between 'fun' and a problem were a little closer than I wanted!
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Peter Taylor

Re: Surfing!
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2015, 16:26 »
So we just ambled around at 2 knots! Still nice to be back on the water, with sun also.
Good fun coming back into the harbor!! The swells were around 6-8'.

Good fun? I think I'd have wanted a bit more wind to tackle overhead swells with harbour breakwaters nearby! Still there has to be a downside to having all that sun! (jealous really).
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

david

« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2015, 02:54 »
LOL. I had the metal wind working for me in tohatshu I have... We were able to see a bit of the challenge from afar as we approached. Good job they were not breaking waves as I would not have stood a chance! I really only had about four swells catch me from behind and launch me forward!
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

David Hudson

« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2015, 02:04 »
"Metal wind"? That sounds painfull!
David H.
BRe No. 35
“Amy Eleanor” (and the dangerous brothers)

garethrow

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2015, 11:51 »
For high adrenaline surfing see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG9JmkhH7Qg  Be patient and watch to the end.

Regards

Gareth
Gwennol Teifi S17