Author Topic: Poole Harbour  (Read 14292 times)

Michael Rogers

Re: Poole Harbour
« Reply #15 on: 25 Nov 2015, 22:50 »
At Studland, St Catharine's Point often beckons from the East across the blue water between, at least on a sunny day. I haven't voyaged in that direction yet, not least because it's quite a long way for my little boat. I used to sail a Heron dinghy out of Keyhaven, and Peter T has described the adventures, and possible horrors, represented by the Hurst Narrows before you get into the relatively benign waters of the Solent. Timing would be key. Even given optimum winds and tides, a two day voyage from Studland would make sense. I'm not (yet?) equipped to overnight on Cavatina, but it's never too late to have a go. A F4 southerly would have Cavatina reaching both ways, her best points of sailing. I'll certainly have it in mind for the wonderful sailing summer we can all at least hope for in 2016.

In the other direction along the coast, and on another thread, Jonathan (prompted by Peter T) has reminded us of the potential (and somewhat theoretical) hazards of being shelled from the Lulworth ranges if you get west of St Alban's (Adhelm's?) Head. The only sailing I have done that way so far has been in high summer and/or at weekends (and not, so far, from Studland), and I'd really forgotten about the flippin' Military. The link Jonathan gives there spells it out with dates, times and a map.

Thanks for the book recommendations re the Solent/Wight area, Peter (T). I think I'll get one of them. Would/could you recommend which of the two?

Michael      (Trouper12 Cavatina)

Michael Rogers

« Reply #16 on: 25 Nov 2015, 23:01 »
And if one is going to the West Solent from wherever, I do recommend making time for a bit of gunk-holing up the Keyhaven creek. It's still quite unspoiled, lots of wildlife, and tucked in behind Hurst Castle is reasonably sheltered. You have to watch the tides, but I love it.

Ged

« Reply #17 on: 27 Nov 2015, 15:24 »
Thanks for the detailed replies, that's definitely a trip to work up to.

Cheers

Ged
Ged
Storm 17 'Peewit'

Peter Taylor

« Reply #18 on: 29 Nov 2015, 06:13 »
Thanks for the book recommendations re the Solent/Wight area, Peter (T). I think I'll get one of them. Would/could you recommend which of the two?
Michael      (Trouper12 Cavatina)

Unless you plan to explore the somewhat inhospitable south coast of the IoW the "Solent Hazards" book is the useful one. It covers the mainland and IoW shores from the Shingles/Needles area through the Solent to Portsmouth and the Forts.  The only missing bit is the IoW shore from east of Ryde Sands through Seaview and Bembridge. A pity because both are interesting places for shoal capable craft to visit.  One can't help but think that that has been done to make more people buy the "Wight Hazards" book which covers that bit of the IoW north coast plus the south coast.

To get a feel for the near shore sea bed around the Seaview/Bembridge area, going onto Google Earth and looking at the Historic imagery will find you images taken when the tide was low.  The rocks and pipelines should still be in the same place but the sandbanks will have moved!

Peter
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk