Swallow Yachts Forum > Home Builders' Area

Modifications Storm 19

<< < (2/2)

Tony:
Hi, Erik.
Francois Vivier is definitely one of the best small boat designers out there so I dont think you will go far wrong with a "Jewel" (..although I would have gone for a Swallow BayRaider Expedition myself for the extra performance and the advantages of water ballast.) I haven't sen a "Jewel" on the water yet but I have sailed with an "Ilur" at SeaFair (an excellent dinghy) and saw the man himself sailing "Pen-Hir" at the Morbihan. He went past me on a reach, easily sailing three feet to my two, with a cheery wave. The boat looked solid , powerful and as if she had a gear or two in hand! (Don't you hate it when that happens!) No good for my kind of sailing, though, having a keel. Sails well but needs legs to dry out and a crane to launch!
"Jewel" looks like a lighter "Meaban" with a yawl rig and so should be easy to live with. It will be interesting to see how she compares with the Cardigan Bay Lugger.

Peter Taylor:

--- Quote from: kleppar on 15 Jan 2016, 16:33 ---I am also looking at another motor; a petrol Tohatsu 4 HP is supposed to be very reliable. I am also looking at electric - Torqeedo and others. Range is an issue; also I need a motor with some power, as there could be quite some resistance in motoring with the mast up.

--- End quote ---

Hi Erik,

My attempts to use a Torqeedo 1003 with my BC20 are documented elsewhere on this forum and on my "Seatern" blog.  In the end I had to admit defeat and now use a 6hp Tohatsu (same weight as the 4hp).  If you haven't already read of my experiences a summary can be found via a page of my blog...
http://www.seatern.org.uk/SeaternDiaries/firstyear01.php?year=-1
(make sure you click on the link in the short summary description... e.g. "Torqeedo 1003" to read a detailed account about the motor, similarly for the Tohatsu)

I also did some bollard pull comparisons of electric motors which are described in my SeaternDiary pages starting in September 2014.  I'd recommend anyone thinking about using an electric outboard to read these pages, written by someone who really did want to use electric but failed!

Peter

kleppar:

--- Quote from: Tony on 19 Jan 2016, 14:28 ---Hi, Erik.
Francois Vivier is definitely one of the best small boat designers out there so I dont think you will go far wrong with a "Jewel" (..although I would have gone for a Swallow BayRaider Expedition myself for the extra performance and the advantages of water ballast.) I haven't sen a "Jewel" on the water yet but I have sailed with an "Ilur" at SeaFair (an excellent dinghy) and saw the man himself sailing "Pen-Hir" at the Morbihan. He went past me on a reach, easily sailing three feet to my two, with a cheery wave. The boat looked solid , powerful and as if she had a gear or two in hand! (Don't you hate it when that happens!) No good for my kind of sailing, though, having a keel. Sails well but needs legs to dry out and a crane to launch!
"Jewel" looks like a lighter "Meaban" with a yawl rig and so should be easy to live with. It will be interesting to see how she compares with the Cardigan Bay Lugger.

--- End quote ---

Hi Tony
I searched extensively for my new boat; I am sharing a link for a document with info about the various boats I looked at; see here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZXLvomtR9Q7bp7QFLNZQxQqIcctE2YHSuEziKjADV9I/edit?usp=sharing

As you can see from the document, there are many swallows worthy of my interest...., but the exchange rate made me turn in the direction of buying a plan and finding a builder. Since Swallow Yachts no longer sell plans or kits, I had to look elsewhere; for some reason I have stuck to two sticks, even though a single mast sailboat would probably suit me fine. It was a long process (actually not more than a couple of months); in the beginning I was determined to have water ballast, since I wanted a trailer sailer, but I think Jewell with about 650 kg is manageable. I have only considered boats about 6 metres, since a longer boat/trailer would not fit my drive and garage.

I spoke to the Australian Jewell builder claiming that his boat is faster than a friendĀ“s BayRaider 20.....

Erik

kleppar:

--- Quote from: Peter Taylor on 20 Jan 2016, 08:58 ---
--- Quote from: kleppar on 15 Jan 2016, 16:33 ---I am also looking at another motor; a petrol Tohatsu 4 HP is supposed to be very reliable. I am also looking at electric - Torqeedo and others. Range is an issue; also I need a motor with some power, as there could be quite some resistance in motoring with the mast up.

--- End quote ---

Hi Erik,

My attempts to use a Torqeedo 1003 with my BC20 are documented elsewhere on this forum and on my "Seatern" blog.  In the end I had to admit defeat and now use a 6hp Tohatsu (same weight as the 4hp).  If you haven't already read of my experiences a summary can be found via a page of my blog...
http://www.seatern.org.uk/SeaternDiaries/firstyear01.php?year=-1
(make sure you click on the link in the short summary description... e.g. "Torqeedo 1003" to read a detailed account about the motor, similarly for the Tohatsu)

I also did some bollard pull comparisons of electric motors which are described in my SeaternDiary pages starting in September 2014.  I'd recommend anyone thinking about using an electric outboard to read these pages, written by someone who really did want to use electric but failed!

Peter

--- End quote ---

Hi Peter,

Very useful information! Your BC20 is similar in size and weight to my Jewell, so I shall have to re-consider the use of an electric. I do not really need an engine getting in and out harbour (very short distance), but it is useful returning home with either too strong headwind, or no wind at all. I will probably go for a Tohatsu 4 or 5 HP.

Regards,

Erik

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version