Author Topic: Where have all the young folk gone.....  (Read 4098 times)

Tony

Where have all the young folk gone.....
« on: 17 Feb 2016, 15:11 »
I've come to the conclusion that sailing, in its various guises, is an activity increasingly monopolised by the ancient. I spend much of my sailing time with like-minded geriatrics - not through choice, I might add - and even at my club, where much work is done with RYA courses for school age learners, it is rare to find teenage/twenty-something sailors out on their own.     Most of the young people I do come across are into sailing around the cans rather than cruising and, if not having the cash for a competitive boat, the Saturday  afternoon procession around the lake can get a bit  monotonous for them and they gradually disappear. In contrast, there is a growing interest in other outdoor activities such as hill walking, backpacking, cycle camping and mountain biking, where all ages are represented. The one aquatic sport they are taking up in any numbers is kayaking.
Why? 
I'm fairly sure the limiting factor is financial.  It's possible to kit yourself out quite well for any of these activities for less than £1000. You would be hard pressed to find a ready-to-go cruising dinghy for the same figure....and what does a nice new BayRaider Expedition cost?  Now, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that in 2002 Swallow Boats  approached  Chesapeake Light Craft on the subject of building the "Storm Petrel" in the U.S. under license. They weren't interested - no doubt because they were promoting their own "Skerry"  - a simple 15' double ender - and this type of boat, "proper" sail-and-oar boats, sailing canoes and the like, is increasingly popular with all ages in the States, as shown by the number of raids and rallies held each year.  We all know what happened to Swallow Boats in the following decade-and-a-half  and everyone reading this has reason to be grateful  (...and who knows where Swallow Yachts is going in the next 20 years!) but there is now a dearth of relatively cheap but capable camp/cruising boats available in the UK. Even suitable kits are drying up ....and as for Matt's own sailing canoe (the Aircraft Carrier), I last saw it hanging on a wall!

Is there a UK market for such a vessel?       

If one could be "knocked out" for the price of a mountain bike would a market develop?

Would this kind of cheap boat attract a younger clientele?

Unlike the States, beach launch sites and slipways in the UK - not to mention associated trailer and car parks - are gradually disappearing or being taken over by expensive marinas catering for 30' AWBs crewed by the older (and richer) generation. Without more young people coming into the sport, dinghy cruising UK style doesn't seem to have a very bright future. 

In parenthesis:
   I like the idea of the minimal car-top boat capable of being camp/cruised in sheltered waters ....but being 'fair, fat, and (just a tad over) forty' I do not like the inherent instability of the type (or the prospect of wearing a wet suit all summer) so something with outriggers or a multihull type would suit me  better.

http://www.solwaydory.co.uk/products/sailing-canoes/shearwater-decked-sailing-canoe/
http://www.angusrowboats.com/sailing.html
http://www.salmoboats.com/projekty-lodzi-i-jachtow/salmo-19-outrigger-canoe/
http://www.hobiecat.com/mirage/mirage-adventure-island/

All the above would cost more than a mountain bike.....but this, below, isn't really an option, is it?
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-an-open-kayak-from-recycled-bottles/

charliea

Re: Where have all the young folk gone.....
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2016, 16:39 »
I placed an order for a BRE at the London Boat Show and am looking forward introducing my kids to the sailing in a boat that will hopefully prove small enough to trailer and big enough to sleep in.

Can't wait to get my hands on it but was disappointed to note how few of the summer raids coincide with the school summer holidays.

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #2 on: 29 Feb 2016, 22:33 »
There's probably a clue about that in the title of this post!
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Tony

« Reply #3 on: 06 Mar 2016, 09:33 »
To answer my own question - most of 'em were under my hotel window at 2am this morning!
(Avoid Birmingham China Town on a Saturday night when Villa have lost. I bet it's worse if they ever win - fat  chance! )

Simon Knight

« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2016, 10:32 »
Hi Tony,

I'm glad you found the young folk.  My take is that only us more mature types have both the time and money to go cruising and are stupid enough to do it.

Now you state
"I like the idea of the minimal car-top boat capable of being camp/cruised in sheltered waters ....but being 'fair, fat, and (just a tad over) forty' I do not like the inherent instability of the type (or the prospect of wearing a wet suit all summer) so something with outriggers or a multihull type would suit me  better. "

Well sir, what you need is a Shearwater from Solway Dory fitted with outriggers.  Stable, no need for a wet suit and car-topable.  Whats not to like?

best wishes

Simon
Simon Knight
BayRaider 20 No.27 - Carpe Diem
Shearwater Sailing Canoe - Eureka