Author Topic: BR20 Short Bowsprit  (Read 10680 times)

Rock Doctor

BR20 Short Bowsprit
« on: 06 Apr 2014, 06:34 »
Hi All,
Over our summer I have been contemplating replacing the standard jib club boom arrangement with a short bowsprit and separate forestay but retaining the self-tacking capability. This I plan to execute over the southern winter along with repairing damage done to my rubbing strakes by a #%@! jetty I used last week (new fenders on order).

I have seen a short bowsprit arrangement in the BR20 rigging and mods paper in the library and wonder if anybody has some drawings and/or specs for this setup.

Thanks and regards to all of you who must be relishing the return of good sailing weather.
Chris Robinson
BR20 "Gryphon"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: BR20 Short Bowsprit
« Reply #1 on: 06 Apr 2014, 09:26 »
I'm fairly sure that Matt has the CAD dimensions for the short bowsprit on his computer.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Rock Doctor

« Reply #2 on: 06 Apr 2014, 10:22 »
Hello Graham,
will follow this up, have been talking to Matt re O-rings for my hatches so can add this to the list. I determined that about half the hatches leak through the seals not the hull-hatch seal. Used my tyre compressor to inflate the tanks and tracked the leaks with soapy water.

All the best and thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Chris Robinson
BR20 "Gryphon"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 06 Apr 2014, 10:57 »
Chris,

Off topic but do you have replacement o-ring specifications that you can share? Several of mine look like they need replacing and I don't want to pay chandlery prices for them.
Graham

Rock Doctor

« Reply #4 on: 06 Apr 2014, 11:28 »
Graham,
no I don't. I asked Matt if he had these for the Sea World hatches and I don't think so. In the meantime he is trying to source the O-rings alone otherwise I will be up for buying full hatches to extract the O-rings. I have tried to determine this myself but getting a scheme for measurement is almost impossible. If I can afford a day's drive and a bit of frustration I might try and visit Ludowicis who make these things - don't know how they will treat someone looking for 6 or 8 of these things. I do remember when I was working at a mine that the guys actually used to make up these things on site. They made up some to suit a flow meter I constructed to measure flow rates like 10,000 gallons/hr from a bore. Unfortunately cannot find any info on this on the net.
In any case you have spurred me along, I will try Ludowicis again and see if someone will talk to me about how to measure these things - ID or OD, diam of material, type of material, etc, etc.
BRGDS
Chris Robinson
BR20 "Gryphon"

Rock Doctor

« Reply #5 on: 06 Apr 2014, 11:30 »
Graham,
further to my previous, every hatch I can find over here is different, none match each other let alone the Sea World version.
Chris Robinson
BR20 "Gryphon"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 06 Apr 2014, 15:50 »
Still off topic, the most vulnerable Seaworld hatches that I have on my boat are in the cockpit sole, which get bashed about.  I bought two 125mm replacements from these people http://www.seascrew.com/browse.cfm?BOAT---YACHT-INSPECTION-COVERS--SEAWORLD-&l=0000000279

These 3mm o-rings from Hong Kong might fit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125mm-x-3mm-Automobile-NBR-O-Rings-Hole-Sealing-Gaskets-Washers-10-Pcs-/290912717701?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43bbbfcb85

Other hatches that I have on my boat are Seaworld 203mm and 152mm and just to be different, some Barton 103mm.  I should have thought it would be sensible to standardise on one size during construction wherever possible.
Graham

Rock Doctor

« Reply #7 on: 08 Apr 2014, 04:44 »
Graham,
still off topic, I have sourced some O-rings from Ludowicis. Some are on back order. I will send details including the Ludowici part number when I receive the final lot by mail.

My hatches are 125mm x 6, 152mm x 2 and 203mm x 2 - all SeaWorld brand. The O-rings for the smaller hatches are all metric but the bigger one seems to be Imperial sizing - will know more by the weekend.
Chris Robinson
BR20 "Gryphon"

Rock Doctor

« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2014, 00:47 »
Graham,
obtained my O-rings for SeaWorld hatches. Sizes are 125mm hatch - 125.00mm x 3.00mm; 152mm hatch - 152.00mm x 3.00mm and 7.984" x 0.139" for the 203mm hatches. All are nitrile - not silicone but am advised that this is satisfactory for saltwater - time will tell. I have the Ludowici part numbers but I don't think they operate in the UK. Ludowicis are a supplier of seals of all sorts to industry so trying this approach may prove more worthwhile than arm wrestling with chandleries.
Regards
Chris Robinson
BR20 "Gryphon"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2014, 09:27 »
Thanks Chris, very useful.  I think some of these in nitrile are obtainable on eBay over here.
Graham

Julian Swindell

« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2014, 18:32 »
I bought new hatch O rings from Simply Bearings. They seemed to have every size you could think if and sell them in packs of 2

http://simplybearings.co.uk/
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #11 on: 20 Feb 2019, 15:08 »
Chris and Julian

Replacing some of my access hatches and replacing o rings on the others, your posts made it very easy to order the correct size and to find a supplier. I'm replacing the two eight inch plates and the two 5 inch plates at the stern end of the cockpit as these are the four which look the grubbiest, the rest i will just change the o rings on for now, the plate surrounds came away from the hull very easy when the fixing screws were removed but removing the bedding adhesive/sealant was another matter.

Thanks

Peter C
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard