Author Topic: Applying for VHF licence  (Read 3014 times)

RoyandSally

Applying for VHF licence
« on: 28 May 2016, 16:47 »
I'm trying to apply for a VHF licence and the online form is asking me for the gross tonnage of my vessel.  Does anybody know the gross tonnage of a Baycruiser 23?  It does give a formula for which I need the length, width and height.  I can manage the first two but height?  What has anybody else put when applying for a licence?
Roy or Sally Hooker
BC23 Skylark

Rob Johnstone

Re: Applying for VHF licence
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2016, 23:25 »
I've had a look at my licence (or, at least) the electronic version that OfCom keep and it doesn't tell me what guess I made when I applied for it. I think Tunnage is an old "traditional" measurement based on the estimated cargo carrying capacity of the vessel so a I wild guess will do - how about 4.5 feet for the height, given that that is the max headroom in the cabin?
Hope this helps.

Rob J
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Peter Taylor

« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2016, 08:55 »
I can't remember what it came to for Seatern but it did seem remarkably large.  As Rob says, it's a measure of cargo carrying capacity and if I put that much cargo in Seatern, Matt really would pull his hair out...  nor do I think Seatern would float!

Yesterday, on a whim while sailing near Calshot, I looked for Seatern's AIS report on the "Marine Traffic" web site.  I recognised her immediately as the extremely small ship symbol surrounded by very much larger ship symbols!  A bit like the VHF licence, when you register an AIS you have to put in your ship dimensions and explain exactly where the AIS antenna is located on your ship.  I suppose for a large container ship you could be in collision with the bow some distance before the reported AIS position reached where you are!  For Seatern the exact position of the antenna seemed slightly irrelevant... However I was amused to confirm that I could find my position by going on line - beats looking at your surroundings!

Peter
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

RoyandSally

« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2016, 14:41 »
Thanks for those hints.  I think we'll go for 41/2 feet for the height and work out the formula.  Can't see them coming round to measure it!
happy sailing
Sally
Roy or Sally Hooker
BC23 Skylark