Author Topic: BRe Tent  (Read 4835 times)

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
BRe Tent
« on: 02 Jun 2016, 09:03 »
After successfully using a couple of homemade prototypes last year, this year I've had a cockpit tent made for the BRe. We used it for the first time at the weekend and 4 of us slept on the boat. It worked really well - we survived the experience and the tent survived a F6 - so I just wanted to share this...photos attached.

The tent is in 4 sections for ease of stowage and flexibility. There's a rear "reverse sprayhood" that can remain attached to its hoop and folded down for sailing if storage space is tight. (Without the tent attached the hoop is a very useful boom gallows.) There's a roof panel that zips to this and the forward sprayhood. Finally two side panel are added when we want the sides enclosed but these can also be secured rolled up when attached. Material is WeatherMax and we limited the number of windows to minimise its folded size while still allowing some light in. Made by Kemp Sails in Wareham. Hopefully this will enable some longer trips this summer.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

martin scott

Re: BRe Tent
« Reply #1 on: 04 Jun 2016, 20:49 »
Jonathan, this looks a really neat design that's simple to use. Having struggled with various ad hoc arrangements it has a lot of appeal for me. Did it come with the hoop and how are the hoop and tent fixed to the deck; and how much did it cost (if that's not a rude question)? 

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 05 Jun 2016, 11:09 »
Thanks Martin. I did spend a lot of time thinking about the design because I wanted something that worked well while being very easy to use and that didn't take up too much space. I was also fortunate in having a sail maker that came up with some good ideas.

The hoop was already fitted to my boat (I'll explain why below in case you're interested). I wanted to use this hoop because it saved fitting new hardware and drilling more holes, but the sailmaker commented that they could easily fit a new hoop if required. It's just an aluminium hoop designed for sprayhoods, etc. As an aside, apart the supporting the tent, I use this hoop to support the boom when at anchor, etc, and it stops the boom swinging as the boat pitches.

The "rear sprayhood" is zipped to the hoop and attached on the outside of the aft coming using "lift the dot" fasteners. There is an extra flap to ensure there isn't a gap around the mizzen mast. There is also reinforcement to the material at the top of the hoop to protect the tent from the boom when it is lowered on to the hoop while camping.

My vision was that the aft section of tent would remain attached to the hoop when sailing. This was to minimize how much we have to store in lockers, etc, which are already quite full of food and gear when there are 4 of us cruising. For that reason, we decided against a large aft window (which was on the original design) because this would make it far bulkier, but we did keep 2 side windows and the light from those is welcome. There are 2 panels that fit to the inside the windows to act as curtains. In practice, the sprayhood is so quick to fit and remove and packs so small (again, because there isn't a large window) that so far we have removed it when sailing.

The "roof" zips to the aft and forward sprayhoods. Kemp Sails fitted a zip and poppers to the existing SwallowBoats sprayhood as part of the service.

The side panels zip to the roof and loops of shock cord secure the bottom to small tabs screwed to the underside of the gunwale. Kemp Sails supplied bags for the roof and side panels and they are easy to stow because the panels fold to a small size.

The tent cost about £900 (I am away from home at the moment so can't check, but it wasn't more than £900 and wasn't much less either). That is a lot but in my view worth it because the finished tent is so effective. It was also justified by the amount of work spent by the sailmaker getting the tent right - they came on site on at least 4 occasions to make templates and then fit and adjust the tent until it was right. They also didn't charge me extra when I made changes midway through the project! When I think about what I must have paid them per hour worked I think this was very good value and the quality of the tent means we'll get a lot of use from it and extend how we use the BRe.

I mentioned about the pre-existing hoop. I bought my BRe "off the drawing board". The original design used a gunter rig (as used on the open BR). Matt included the rear hoop to support the yard when it was lowered with a secondary use to support a cockpit tent. Although the BRe's design changed to the one piece carbon mast, the hoop was part of the design when I placed my order so it came with the hoop. I was going to buy a tent from Swallow Boats/Yachts but Matt subsequently changed the design so that it didn't use this hoop. I wanted to keep my hoop given that it is screwed to the boat and had become so useful to support the boom.

I hope that helps!
Jonathan

Tim Riley

« Reply #3 on: 06 Jun 2016, 22:30 »
I think 2016 will be the year of the bayraider tent - everybody is doing it!  Having traded up from my trusty bayraider with a home made tent with blue water pipe hoops I decided that a tidy tent was needed to match the new BRe. The brief for Ristie was similar to Mallory. It needed to be quick to deploy, easy to stow, well sealed round the edges to be as midge proof as possible, and above all be good looking. Built by Canvasman it necessitated a trip to Otley to have the boat measured by their 3D measuring machine then the whole thing was designed using CAD. They provided drawings for approval and changes, then the whole thing was completed in one process. I must admit I was a bit sceptical that it would all fit but they were confident and it is perfect. Apart from fitting the hardware to the boat (hoop, poppers etc) on fitting day only the Zips to connect to the existing swallow sprayhood were done then to make sure the tension was right.
It has a double hoop like on the sprayhood which folds down just in front of the mizzen. The roof and rear panels stay attached and roll up with the hoops during the day. At night you simply unfold the hoops and zip the roof panel to the sprayhood. The side panels are connected with poppers and zips and have roll up doors on each side.
In all, a great solution and well proven on a recent 3 week trip to Scotland. Viewings available at Mylor. If you buy me a drink I will tell you how much it was ...
BRe Ristie II
Ovni 39 Acheron

Tim Riley

« Reply #4 on: 06 Jun 2016, 22:53 »
Two BRe tents, the one behind is on Alice Amy where a different approach was taken - more of a traditional boom tent.
Tim Riley
BRe Ristie II
Ovni 39 Acheron

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 07 Jun 2016, 10:32 »
Looks good Tim and it's interesting to see the slight variations in all the designs. Unfortunately I can't make it to Mylor because it's during term time otherwise it would be good to see the various designs in action.
Jonathan

martin scott

« Reply #6 on: 08 Jun 2016, 10:12 »
Jonathan, many thanks for all the details of the tent. The hoop is a great idea for the tent and doubling up as a boom support - don't know why it's not a standard fitting or at least an option for a BRe. Not sure how easy it would be to retro fit one so I'll have to get some advice. Tim - did Canvasman have any issues re fitting your hoops to Ristie?

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 08 Jun 2016, 10:29 »
Martin,

I think retro fitting a hoop would be easy - mine is just a standard sprayhood hoop screwed to a shallow hardwood block secured to the side decks with sikaflex and/or screws (I can't remember which and can't check the boat right now). There's nothing about the installation that means that it was easier for SwallowYachts to fit it during the build than later.
Jonathan

Tim Riley

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2016, 09:06 »
As you can see it goes on just fine. The fabric you see is the stern and roof sections folded back, the sides go on afterwards. The hoops are made to almost follow the coaming around the stern but was a bit of a compromise to end up with a good looking shape when erected.
BRe Ristie II
Ovni 39 Acheron