Author Topic: Sail Caledonia 2017  (Read 10660 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Sail Caledonia 2017
« on: 05 Jun 2016, 22:33 »
The next Sail Caledonia raid along the Great Glen of Scotland, from sea to shining sea, will be held from Saturday 27th May to Saturday 3rd June 2017.  The website http://www.sailcaledonia.org will be open for 2017 bookings in a month or so.  I'll post when the reservations section goes live.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Sail Caledonia 2017
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jul 2016, 21:51 »
Reservations for next year are now open http://www.sailcaledonia.org/page6.html. There is a special deal for those booking early.  Ros Crana berths tend to get booked up very quickly, so if you want one of these, you should reserve as soon as possible.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 03 Jul 2016, 14:47 »
Ros Crana is already fully booked (after three days) but there is plenty of accommodation available on the two Taransay cabin cruisers and of course camping, whether on land or on your own boat. If you are desperate to be on Ros Crana, ask to be waitlisted.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 05 Sep 2016, 12:58 »
There is special deal whereby anyone booking for the 2017 raid before 1st October will enjoy 2016 prices.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2016, 09:38 »
A week to go before the early bird registration discount ends. Eight boats have registered so far, half of them Swallows.
Graham

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 24 Sep 2016, 11:50 »
Not only four Swallows,  but four different types of Swallow - BR20,  BR17, BRe and Storm 17. Will be interesting to see how they compare, although I won't say that when I'm trying to row my BRe against them! More Swallows needed so we have more than one entry of each model.

http://www.sailcaledonia.org/page47.html
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Andy Dingle

« Reply #6 on: 24 Sep 2016, 20:15 »

Oh go on then Jonathan, you smooth talking g@t!
Just registered ..  with Equinox .. (BC23)..   taking it nice an' easy with the merc 6 in lieu of the ladies...

Ape Ears

« Reply #7 on: 25 Sep 2016, 16:38 »
Gulp! I have just registered SeaRaider No 1 'Craic' for Sail Caledonia so it will be really interesting to see how they all compare. I am embarrassed to admit I have mutinied from 'Gladys' to branch out as a (new)
Swallow Boat, sorry Yacht owner. I am very pleased to have acquired Claus' boat with its history and the immaculate way it has been kept, and I did promise to use it for its intended purpose.
Andrew
SeaRaider No1 'Craic'
BayRaider Expedition No123 'Apus' (Swift)

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 25 Sep 2016, 17:02 »
Wow, 6 different types of Swallow and now including a SeaRaider. It was hard enough to beat Andrew when he was in Gladys, so Andrew with a SeaRaider is a formidable prospect! This is turning in to a great rally of Swallows. I've added these new entrants to the Sail Caledonia website and you can see them in full glory via this link:

http://www.sailcaledonia.org/page47.html
Jonathan

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 28 Sep 2016, 13:42 »
I'm afraid that the BR20 is not represented any more (so far anyway) as I've withdrawn Turaco from the raid.  I saw which way the wind was blowing and have jumped ship (Swallow Ships?) to join Andrew and Matthew on Craic.
Graham

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 29 Sep 2016, 09:04 »
Shocking mutiny from Turaco III!

So, who's stepping-in to make sure a BR20 is represented? 2 days left to register at the discounted rates...
Jonathan

Wave Sweeper

« Reply #11 on: 20 Nov 2016, 17:12 »
As a regular helper on Sail Caledonia ( driving a Taransay cruiser), I have just been catching up on this thread and find my world is spinning doe to the shocking disclosures on it.
1) Andrew has bought Craic
2) Turacco will not be taking part.
3) Matthew, Andrew and Graham are competing together.
4) No BR20's enrolled.

I'm not sure which of these is most shocking, I need a strong drink now.

For anyone wavering, this is a brilliant event, worth a week of anyone's life.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Sail Caledonia 2017 (27th May - 3rd June)
« Reply #12 on: 22 Apr 2017, 09:46 »
The latest issue of Water Craft (May/June) landed on my doormat this morning.  Inside is a four-page article by Kathy Mansfield on last year's Sail Caledonia.  John and Helen in BR20 'Ella' are on the magazine's front cover, racing under sail at the far end of Loch Oich on a bright and sunny morning. 

This year's raid starts on Loch Linnhe, Fort William, on Saturday 27th May, crosses Scotland through the Great Glen and ends in the Beauly Firth near Inverness a week later.  So the race, in stages under sail and oar, is "from sea to shining sea".  The accommodation boats follow on behind for each overnight stop.  Visit http://www.sailcaledonia.org for more details.

A BR20 is once again represented in the raid by Charles's 'Augusta Thomasina'.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 29 Apr 2017, 14:20 »
Cabin cruiser berths are still available for those that don't want to rough it at the end of a long hard day's racing.
Graham

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 05 Jun 2017, 09:48 »
Well done to Andrew, Graham and John who, sailing Andrew's SeaRaider "Craic", not only dominated the Swallow class but were overall winners of Sail Caledonia 2017. See following blog post for more details:

http://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?p=1546
Jonathan