Author Topic: A Quandary  (Read 4368 times)

Flotsam

A Quandary
« on: 19 Aug 2016, 17:06 »
Hello!
I live in the Mid-Atlantic region of the United States in Virginia. I have access to this wonderful region known as the Chesapeake Bay. I also have access to the Atlantic and the barrier islands which dot our coast. My intention is to sail these areas with my wife and camp as well. My quandary is the Bay Raider 20 or the BRe? I am not a small man being 1.3 meters tall. (Don't be too impressed I had to use a converter on google to change that from feet to meters.) My concern with the BRe cabin is will there be enough space for the two of us to sleep? I would appreciate anyone's experiences and or recommendations.
Thank you in advance,
Britton Evans

charliea

Re: A Quandary
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2016, 21:50 »
Hi Britton

Are you sure your conversion is right?  I'm 5ft 11 inches which is around 1.8m.

I have no problem at all sleeping in the BRE and probably have about 3 or 4 inches spare.

Recently spent two nights in the cabin with a mate who's around 6 foot with no problem at all.

Charlie

UPDATE - I've been busy packing up the boat for our summer holiday so thought I'd measure the berths for you.

The length is 82 inches or 208cm
The berths come together at the bow so you share a total width of 15 inches or 38cm for your feet

So if both people are over six foot you'll fit in fine but might find you're playing footsie a bit.

My wife and I tend to put the kids in the cuddy and use the tent to sleep in the cockpit.  I've cut some boards that allow us to turn the whole area into a single flat surface back as far as the outboard.

This gives us a boarded area 75 inches long which is fine for us but if you extend your feet down either side of the outboard there's more than 100 inches available.

During the day the boards go under the cushions in the cuddy.

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2016, 13:37 »
I'm 6' 2" and sleep fine in the BRe...I think it would-be fine for anyone a few inches taller but after that you might run out of space.

BTW, when it comes to height and weight we're still not really metric in the UK!
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Flotsam

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2016, 15:08 »
Thanks for the quick response Charlie and Jonathan,
(sigh   ???) No I am not entirely sure my conversion is correct and thanks Jonathan now that I know we are all on the same measurement system I won't try converting. I am an even 6 ft. and my wife is 5'5" so it sounds as if there is plenty of room. The only other concern my wife has is being able to go potti with some degree of privacy. Another reason I was leaning towards the BRe aside from a retreat from inclement weather and a place to sleep.
I have received a price list from Matt and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for what they would or would not purchase. I have a place to keep a boat so that it would be on a trailer when not in use.