Author Topic: BR20 Jib/mizzen sheet arrangement  (Read 1715 times)

Andy Stobbart

BR20 Jib/mizzen sheet arrangement
« on: 15 Mar 2022, 04:34 »
On my BR20 the jib sheet arrangement is different from the mizzen sheet set up.

(Refer photos: #1 shows blue & white jib sheet going through padeye on top of boom; #2 shows mizzen boom with webbing strap clew attachment point to which the double ended sheet is attached with a snaphook.)

to the boom  On the jib the sheet runs through a padeye on the top of the boom rather than having the centre point of the sheet hooked to the boom as on the mizzen boom. This means that adjustment of the jib sheeting angle on either tack can be achieved on either end of the sheet (because it slides over the boom rather than being fixed to it).

On the mizzen there’s a snaphook tied in at the centre point of the sheet which is clipped to a tape loop attached to the boom for that purpose, so the sheeting angle of the mizzen  for sailing can only be adjusted via the loaded side of the sheet, the two sides being effectively independent of each other though connected to the same “clew”.

What I would like to ask is whether the jib sheet arrangement that I have is “normal”? The jib sheet is chafing on the jib boom and I am therefore wondering if I am missing the tape loop clew attachment point that I have on the mizzen boom? And/or about the advisability of changing to a fixed attachment of the jib sheet to the boom  (i.e. an independent sheet for each tack) similar to the arrangement for the mizzen?

Any thoughts/advice/guidance appreciated!

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: BR20 Jib/mizzen sheet arrangement
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2022, 07:57 »
Andy,

There are many different ways of rigging the sheets but yours sound to be standard for a yard-rigged BR20.  See the photos in the 2010 manual in the library https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?p=251

As you say, letting the jibsheet run through a padeye on the jib boom allows the jib to self-tack whilst sheeted at a constant angle that is easily adjusted from either side.  However on my jib boom, the jibsheet padeye is slung underneath the boom, not fixed on top.  It doesn’t chafe and is probably more free running than yours.  If you change it, just make sure that it is very firmly screwed in!

You’ll find descriptions of other ways of arranging the running rigging on the BR20 (including the mizzen sheets) in this library article https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?page_id=790.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

TimIsh

« Reply #2 on: 01 Apr 2022, 20:10 »
Andy, I was only thinking about this today as I rigged my (new to me) BR20, so thanks for asking the question. The previous owner had replicated the mizen sheet rig on the jib sheet and I had seen on the owners manual the different jib sheet rig. My padeye is under the boom and I had wondered whether to change it but Graham’s answer has reassured me (thank you Graham). I have now rigged the jib sheet without the clip but left the mizen as it is. Thank you to both of you and good sailing. Regards Tim

Andy Stobbart

« Reply #3 on: 04 Apr 2022, 22:44 »
I too am getting to grips with a new 2 me BR20 so good to have a kindred spirit out there!

FWIW I have rerigged my jib sheet arrangement per the attached photo. The padeye is on top of the boom in my case so I have sewn myself a tape loop through it (on a domestic sewing m/c with just normal cotton thread ????) to test out how it performs with separate P & S jib sheets. If it works OK in practise I may get a properly sewn loop made up or make up a rope gasket from 3-strand if I am feeling in the mood for some rope work.

Note that I am using different colours for the sheets and the jib topping lift I have made - this is to make it more informative when yelling instructions at my crew ???????? e.g. I have red & green (stop/go) on rudder and centreboard up/down and jib furl/unfurl. Red fleck for “do not undo” on the jib halyard. Blue fleck for spinnaker halyard (sail is blue/white). Bright blue (“sky”) for topping lifts.  Blue/red (for RoW/not RoW) S&P jib & spinnaker sheets. You get the idea! Also helps me to work out which rope is which in the tangle when singlehanding.