Author Topic: Aluminium fabrication and anodising  (Read 3559 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Aluminium fabrication and anodising
« on: 20 Oct 2016, 09:35 »
Here's one for all you engineers and rocket scientists out there.  My removeable cockpit furniture (rowing thwarts, foot braces, collapsible table/sleeping infill) is well made from hardwood and will doubtless last forever.  It is also very heavy and is cumbersome to stow away when not needed.  The solution on SeaRaider Craic is to have the thwarts beautifully assembled from wooden strips so that you end up with lightweight hollow versions.  However, I would be concerned about treading on these and destroying them in fairly short order if they were on my boat, where lightfootedness is seldom if ever seen.

Has anyone had experience of having such items fabricated in aluminium?  My inflatable dinghy has a slot-on aluminium bench that seems more than man enough for the job, so I don't see why something like this would not also work on a BayRaider.  I would have the midships thwart made with rounded downward-facing pegs on each side so that it slots into the bench railing and doesn't slip around so much when rowing.  Some lightweight braces for the feet would also be handy.  I'm told that aluminium fabrications need to be anodised to protect them from the saltwater environment, which will doubtless add to the cost. 
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Michael Rogers

Re: Aluminium fabrication and anodising
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2016, 11:13 »
Just my limited but relevant experience around anodising in a marine environment.

Both my junk rigs have had aluminium tubing sail battens. I couldn't find already anodised tubing. For Cadenza first time round, I found a place (in North Manchester) which anodised the tubes I bought and took to them. It took a week, and cost about three times what I paid for the tubes.

Second time round, for Cavatina, I researched (on line obviously, but I can't remember how/where), and discovered an alternative method, involving careful cleaning and then the application (with a brush) of two different chemicals consecutively. It seems to have worked well: 5 years later the battens are absolutely fine. They do get salt spray, and an occasional dunking in sea water.

I suppose anodising reaches the inner surfaces of tubes: I couldn't with my other system, but as the ends of the battens are plugged, this doesn't seem to matter for my application. I have found absolutely no visible signs of corrosion, and I doubt that they are being eaten from the inside.

I recall that chasing down the relevant materials involved websites supplying people who build their own aircraft. It involved a bit of DIY faff, but worked out a whole lot cheaper than anodising. So if you get something smallish made for you in aluminium, there are alternative methods of marine protection.

Michael

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2016, 12:06 »
Thanks Michael.  This post seems to describe the process that you mention http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?79037-DIY-aluminum-parts-Need-to-paint-Read-this.  In the UK, it appears to be called Alocrom.
Graham

Michael Rogers

« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2016, 22:31 »
That's it, Graham - well dug out. I remember Alodine, the name of the other seems to have changed. You don't have to go to the US for these, but I seem to remember one came from Germany.

I remember now that my finish was with Seacoat, an amazing one pot transparent 'varnish' which has vanished. I've searched high and low, and even joined forces with Pete Greenfield to try and track it down (it had been reviewed in his mag) - no trace. I did wonder whether it was bought up to suppress, but that makes no sense because, properly marketed, it would be a winner. Weird. Sorry, I digress.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2016, 12:27 »
An Alocrom kit is available from Silmid https://www.silmid.com/products/alo1200po1-bonderite-alocrom-1200-powder-brush-kit.aspx.  Likewise a phosphoric acid-based aluminium cleaner.  The Alocrom, being Chromate-based, is a particularly nasty chemical once mixed.  Active Chrome-based chemicals if not handled properly are implicated in lung cancers.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2016, 15:41 »
It looks like I'll be keeping the wooden cockpit furniture for the foreseeable future. Having done some basic calculations, it seems that aluminium versions would not save much weight and are certainly not worth all the extra expense and hassle.
Graham