Author Topic: Arabian Nights  (Read 3005 times)

Michael Rogers

Arabian Nights
« on: 24 Oct 2016, 16:03 »
Does anyone have experience of dealings with/through Alibaba.com?

It appears to be a Far East (only China?) marketplace, but I can't work out whether it is trade/wholesale only. They do appear to offer some items singly; others require large minimum orders. I noticed, incidentally, one factory which claimed to be able to produce tens of millions of batteries a month: I wondered whether an extra nought or two had slipped in.

Alibaba cropped up during my search for large capacity li-ion batteries, and what's on offer seems to vary (judging by the photos) between quite decent-looking stuff, with robust-looking cases on the batteries, and rubbish. Prices vary from low (therefore potentially attractive) to ridiculously low (therefore flashing metaphorical warning lights). I suspect also that if one applies for further details there may be add-ons which hike the 'price' quite a bit.

I must emphasise that I'm extremely wary in general terms, and issues of quality, warranty, shipping etc loom large. A serious instance of 'caveat emptor', I'm sure. However, if anyone has positive experiences of this marketing set-up, I'd probably at least look a bit further, hence my query. So much of what we buy turns out to come from out there, it's presumably a matter of experience (of the quality in practice) and come-back (warranty, spares etc).

charliea

Re: Arabian Nights
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2016, 14:06 »
Hi Michael

I run a software house that sells warehouse management systems to etailers so I think I'm in a fairly good position to judge the pro's and con's of different platforms.

Alibaba is definitely at the 'wild wild west' end of the spectrum.  There are a lot of good Asian wholesalers and manufacturers that use it but there are also a lot of scammers, Alibaba make little or no effort to weed them out.

Several of my customers use the Alibaba platform to place orders with suppliers but they generally know the traders they are dealing with and either have a local representative in China or have met the wholesaler and done a few background checks before doing any significant business.

Unlike Amazon and Ebay there's very little recourse to Alibaba if you have a complaint.

Make sure you're absolutely clear who will be paying the customs charges before you place your order and clarify whether there are any additional charges for the payment method you intend to use.

On the other hand, there are definitely bargains to be had if you're happy with the risk.

Personally I don't think the time and hassle necessary to be comfortable with the vendor before placing an order are worth the potential savings.  The situation is different if you're an importer who makes buying trips to China or if you have a local agent to represent you and can check the goods before you place an order.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

Michael Rogers

Re: Arabian Nights
« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2016, 15:32 »
Thanks, Charlie. Extremely helpful, just the sort of advice I need. I'll proceed with extreme caution - if at all!