Author Topic: Trailer for the Sailer  (Read 4309 times)

SteveWD

Trailer for the Sailer
« on: 12 Dec 2016, 19:58 »
There are few, if any, big technical issues in the forum that relate to the boats. Users who post are satisfied and magazine reviews that I've seen are all positive: SYL produce a range of modern, innovative and well-performing boats - certainly that's my experience with our boat.

However, search through the forum blogs and you'll find a number of threads that aren't nearly so positive about the design, durability or use of the trailers: broken winch posts, misaligned chassis / rollers, difficulty in getting onto the swinging rollers, maybe the need for electric winches, weight, etc.

The "nineteen-eighties" galvanised steel trailer designs and their blog issues contrast unfavourably with the innovative high-quality, lightweight 21st century boats.

As the boats are all trailer-sailers, is it time for a complete re-think of the trailers, to make them as innovative, lightweight, low-draft, well-engineered, easy to use and durable as the boats?

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Trailer for the Sailer
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2016, 12:23 »
The main problem seems to be a lack of quality manufacturers in the UK.  It may be a bit better over the Channel and is definitely better in the US and Australia.  If you're doing high mileages, it would be worth paying extra for a trailer that doesn't keep going wrong and is well made from lightweight aluminium.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Tony

« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2016, 18:34 »
Good point SteveWD!
I seem to spend more time servicing the trailer than the boat !

SteveWD

« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2016, 19:18 »
Have look at Gecko trailers (Looe, Cornwall) website: http://www.geckotrailers.co.uk

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2016, 20:24 »
But they do give us something to moan about and to do in the winter, instead of varnishing the spars!
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2016, 21:10 »
Have look at Gecko trailers (Looe, Cornwall) website: http://www.geckotrailers.co.uk

I had heard anecdotes about their delivery times being unreliable. Gecko suggested this June that gaining type approval for their trailers would reduce lead times by 50%, so perhaps things are looking up.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III