Author Topic: Washing Cabin Cushions?  (Read 2891 times)

forthsailing

Washing Cabin Cushions?
« on: 28 Nov 2016, 13:42 »
I have original supply cushions with fabric tops and pvc bases.  I believe that the base material is Trimproof (Chieftain).  The cushions are 6 years old.

Matt has suggested putting these in the washing machine at low temperatures to clean but I hesitate as I don't want to ruin them or have them shrink.

Has anybody done this?  I would hate to be the first.

Addrian

Rob Johnstone

Re: Washing Cabin Cushions?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2016, 18:16 »
I have successfully washed Vagabonds cushion covers in a domestic washing machine at 30 deg ser at high speed spin. I don't think they shrunk although they were a little difficult to get back on to the foam cushions aftewards. I did not iron them!

The wash got them clean and also took the salt out of them. However, as the cushion had been soaked in sea water, the salt remained in the foam, so even when these were thoroughly dried the salt absorbed water out of the atmosphere and they soon felt damp again.

Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Rob Johnstone

Re: Washing Cabin Cushions?
« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2016, 18:37 »
I really must improve my proof reading. For "ser" in the first sentence read "set".
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"