Author Topic: Cockpit infill for BR20  (Read 2766 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Cockpit infill for BR20
« on: 15 Apr 2017, 18:45 »
The space beneath the large GRP infill under the BR20's foredeck is difficult to access and is largely wasted. However, with a bit of amateur woodwork (pictured) this can be remedied. The middle section of this infill is hinged and folds back to reveal the space underneath. I use mine to access my battery and electrics box installation (containing charge points, solar charge controller etc) and also to keep my Fortress anchor, stowed backwards (shank forwards), ready for quick deployment. When the middle section is hinged open it gives a bit of much-needed extra height that can be comfortably sat on when using the forward rowing position. To stop it shifting about (or dropping out when turtled!), the aft part of the infill is securely tied to a lacing eye on front of the centreboard case.

I haven't weighed the wooden (marine ply) version but it is definitely heavier than the white GRP infill that it replaces. This is not a problem when cruising and an infill is in any case needed as part of the boat's sleeping arrangements. I thought about cutting up the original white GRP infill but I don't think it would then be strong enough to sit on. At least one BR20 skipper removes his infill altogether when racing under sail, to save weight.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Matthew P

Re: Cockpit infill for BR20
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2017, 19:07 »
A neat solution Graham.  I particularly like the Fortress anchor stowage. Mine either lies flat but inaccessible under the bottom of a locker or in the catch-everything position, including fingers and stray ropes, with other loose homeless items under the for'deck.

Since Roger Barnes joined the turtle club I am now conscious of any item or corner that can trap a sheet at a critical moment, so efficient anchor stowage is particularly interesting. 

BTW Thank you too hallooing us yesterday to alert us as we drifted backwards when we attempted to anchor at Bala.  Turned out the anchor had speared a fertiliser sack.   

Matthew
BR20 Gladys
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter