Author Topic: Yet another cruising modification  (Read 2718 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Yet another cruising modification
« on: 18 Apr 2017, 22:19 »
If you have a Torqeedo, you may want to sit as far away from it as possible on longer journeys when there's no wind.  Or even if you have a petrol outboard.  The noise close by the tiller can be nerve-shredding after a while.

With two bits of string and a couple of low friction ring strops on each side, this is now possible on my BR20 Turaco.  I sit on the rearmost sleeping infill, facing forwards, and pull handles which are attached to the tiller through long pieces of string.  Pull on the port one to turn to port, and starboard to turn to starboard.  This was the same steering convention when coxing a rowing eight with bits of string many decades ago - I expect it's all fly by wire these days.  For this to work on a sailing boat tiller, the strings have to cross over each other to the opposite side. 

Confused?  See this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tewpiUmNtUw.  Note that the sound from the Torqeedo is still quite loud at the opposite end of the boat.  Obviously I'm a long way from the throttle, so this is only for use on uncrowded open water.  A remote throttle, which is a Torqeedo option, would be an expensive step too far.  I suppose I could add a long piece of string to the emergency stop gadget so that I could at least cut the power without stirring from the front.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Peter Cockerton

Re: Yet another cruising modification
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2017, 08:59 »
Graham

Brought back memory's from nearly 60 yrs ago, two bits of string up and across the bedroom wall, down to to the toggle light switch so I could control the light switch from my top bunk. After being sent to bed under strict "no reading or listening to my crystal radio tuned to radio Luxembourg" I could switch the light of if footsteps were heard on the stairs. So if anyone remembers Keynsham that's spelt etc etc.

What about some wireless headphones and some good Welsh band Stereophonics tunes, that should drown out the outboard noise.

Peter
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard