Author Topic: Sail Caledonia 2017  (Read 10059 times)

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
Re: Sail Caledonia 2017
« Reply #15 on: 07 Jun 2017, 13:28 »
Full results for Sail Caledonia 2017 are now on the website:

http://www.sailcaledonia.org/page40.html
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Matthew P

« Reply #16 on: 09 Jun 2017, 16:09 »
Congratulations to Team Craic for restoring Swallow Boat's success at Sail Caledonia.  Congratulations too, to Jim Wise in his home-built Swampscot Dory Jack for providing tough competition in a very different boat.

From what I hear it was a terrific week. Apart from the one point difference between Craic and Jack (there has to be a joke in there somewhere?) the race scores don't communicate the drama, effort and emotional roller coaster and exhilaration for the participants.

And I have no doubt that the non-competitive boats enjoyed the usual Sail Caledonia social craic, scenery and cruise in company.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys     

"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: 09 Jun 2017, 17:08 »
Well said Matthew. Speaking as one of those less competitive skippers at this year's event, my family and I certainly enjoyed it.

I noticed when updating the results on the Sail Caledonia website that Swallows and Iain Oughtred creations are now sharing the honours as the most successful boats with 3 overall wins each. Can we get another Swallow winning in 2018...?!
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #18 on: 30 Jun 2017, 14:19 »
John Macpherson's photos of the raid are now up, on a different site to usual https://johnmacpherson.smugmug.com/Sail-Caledonia-2017/

His photo below, of Craic's dawn start on her long journey to win the 2017 Loch Ness Challenge, captures the essence of the sail and oar raid.  Sails up, no wind, setting up a steady rowing pace towards the first of the day's gusts.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III